TOWNSHIP AND VILLAGES, CONTINUED
MADISON TOWNSHIP – ROUND KNOB – WEST POINT – SCOTCH SETTLEMENT – MIDDLETON TOWNSHIP – CLARKSON – ROGERS – SALEM TOWNSHIP – LEETONIA – WASHINGTONVILLE – FRANKLIN SQUARE – ST. CLAIR TOWNSHIP – CALCUTTA – AND FREDICKTOWN* - UNITY TOWNSHIP – UNITY – NEW WATERFORD – EAST PALESTINE – WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP – SALINEVILLE – WAYNE TOWNSHIP – WEST TOWNSHIP – NEW ALEXANDER – CHAMBERSBURG – EAST ROCHESTER – LYNCHBURG – MOULTRIE – BAYARD – YELLOW CREEK TOWNSHIP – PERRY TOWNSHIP – LIVERPOOL TOWNSHIP.
Madison Township with its thirty-six sections has a rugged surface, fertile soil and heavy deposits of coal. In it is what is known as “The Scotch Settlement” wherein the early forebears hailed from the Highlands of Scotland. In that particular area Andrew McPherson settled in 1802 following a favorable report made by Angus McBane who, the previous year, had located in St. Clair Township. With his family he took up most of Section 36. In the first decade of the nineteenth century Alexander McDonald, Archey Cook, James McIntosh, William Monroe, Evan McIntosh, John Mcphail, Alexander Chisholm, John McPhail, John Campbell, William Falconer, John McKenzie, Daniel McCoy, Duncan Frazer, Jesse Williams, Angus McIntosh, Jacob VanFossan, and his son, Arnold, Hugh and John McBane, John McDonald and Jacob Welsh all located in the community that ever since has been noted for its unsurpassed citizenship.
Angus McBane had hunted through the territory as early as 1801 and he had recommended to his friends that this plot of farming ground was desirable. Andrew Smith who settled on the Yellow Creek line was for years a leader in civil and religious departures. Robert McCready, of Washington, Pa., had thirteen children born on his farm in this vicinity. James McKenzie came to Section 31 in 1807. He became a soldier in the War of 1812, fought with Gen. William Henry Harrison, and aided in the bringing of 700 prisoners to Pittsburg following which he returned to his farm and lived on it to the ripe age of 99 years. Other 1812 soldiers of this township were: Daniel McCoy, Jesse Williams, Samuel Martin, and Duncan and Angus McDonald. The township also more than filled its quoto* in the Civil War. It was well represented in the Spanish-American War and the World War.
Madison Township was organized in 1809. Its first collector was Thomas George.
Round Knob, on Section 22, long owned by Dr. J. W. Hammond and his estate, is one of the highest points in the state, the fact being attested by a marker placed thereon by the Ohio Geographical Society. High tension power wires pass over it by now almost at its apex. It annually attracts numerous visitors.
Beaver Creek passes through the township in a winding channel. On its banks are erected summer camps and club houses of the East Liverpool Y.M.C.A., and the East Liverpool Buckeye Club.
West Point has developed into a coal center, the mines in and about it contributing a large quantity which is shipped away over the Youngstown and Ohio railway which passes through the Township. Jacob Stewart became the first postmaster in 1836. At West Point the first physician in the township was Dr. D. Marquis.
In March of 1852 the village of Glasgow was platted by William McBane. There is no record of West Point ever being platted. Williamsport was laid out in 1835 by William Crawford who built a mill on Beaver canal and doubtless gave it a name that would perpetuate his first name.
In the “Scotch Settlement” the early residents were Presbyterians almost to a man. For two years after services first began they were held in the home of Alexander McIntosh which was a log cabin, he having bee an elder in the Presbyterian Church in Scotland. In the summer, tents were used in the woods for meetings. The early ministers included Revs. Scott, Patterson, Mercer, Cook, Vallandingham, Imbrie, Snodgrass and White. The first sacrament was administered in a tent on John Campbell’s farm in 1805, according to one authority, by Revs. Thomas E. Hughes, Scott and McMillan. Others aver it was given Alexander McIntosh’s barn when Rev. Mr. Hughes officiated alone. The first house of worship was built in Yellow Creek Township, near the old cemetery. Shortly afterwards that known as “The Buckwheat Straw House” was built. The first stated supply was Rev. Mr. Cook who functioned half time in 1811 and 1812. Rev. Mr. Robertson followed regularly from 1818 to 1821. The first settled pastor was Rev. Mr. Cross.
The Yellow Creek Presbyterian Church was incorporated in 1825 with Andrew Smith, Daniel Smith, William Smith, Jacob VanFossan and Peter Ross as trustees. The first church structure was erected in 1827 and then replaced in 1878 by a large and handsome brick structure with a spire 90 feet high. Alexander McIntosh was the only ruling elder for many years. The Associate Reform congregation of West Beaver was organized in 1806; The Methodist Episcopal Church of Williamsport was organized in 1820 at the home of William Crawford under the leadership of Joseph Kernan; The “Middle-Beaver” Church was formed in 1830, it being Presbyterian, but was dissolved in 1839 when the members united with the churches at Clarkson and Madison.
On Dec. 27, 1838, William Brown and James McCaskey donated a piece of ground in Section 10 for the erection of a new church. It was built and dedicated on Dec 27 or that year. It was admitted to the New Lisbon Presbytery with 21 members. Rev. J. B. Graham became the first stated supply.
Among the early school teachers in the “Scotch Settlement” were John McBane, Andrew Smith, John Grant, John Elliott and Daniel Smith.
In later years just near the Yellow Creek Presbyterian Church has been erected a substantial structure which ever and anon has been utilized for farmer gatherings of various sort.
Descendents of these early pioneers meet annually and have done so for a long period of years in reunion when notable historical data recording them are disclosed and preserved. Usually these gatherings are held in the various homes of those connected.
Middleton Township touches the Pennsylvania state line and contains thirty-six full sections. Its surface is remarkably rugged, being much broken by Beaver and Bull creeks. Forests cover the precipitous hills. Coal, clay, stone, oil and brine deposits abound.
The land is adaptable to fruit growing in it has a fine agricultural record despite its rough surface. Its early settlers were mostly “squatters”; by 1810 these had been pretty well driven out. In 1800 John Leslie became probably the initial settler of what later became the substantial citizens of the locality. Baltzer Young, Job Russell, Abraham Rogers and a brother, John Briggs, John Richardson and his sons, John Booth and his seven boys, Alex Huston, Edward Earle, John Eakin, Levi Jennings, Francis Andrews, John and George Grate, Thomas Barton, the Hustons and the Burts, Rev. John Burt of the latter family bringing thirteen children, were among the earliest of these better settlers.
The principal industries at the beginning were grist and saw mills and tanneries. Much of the coal still remains. Several large nurseries have flourished within its confines.
Clarkson was platted as a village on Feb. 18, 1816 by Robery Hanna and William Heald. Its postoffice was established in 1839, Richard Stock being the first postmaster.
The village of Rogers was laid out in 1883, shortly after the building of the P. L. & W. R. R. on the west half of Section 7. The original plat was made by T. G. Rogers which has been followed for several others. The village was incorporated in 1895. The failure of a pottery project which was destroyed by a fire following a few years of operation under two ownerships, brick works conducted by John W. Hall, of East Liverpool and the operation of coal mines have been the industrial activities of the village in its earliest days. The village also has the record of not having had a saloon in operation in it nor in fact in the entire township has liquor been sold as a business.
In 1883 Mt. Hope College was established in Rogers. It was beautifully situated. In 1894 the college building was burned, but it was rebuilt the same year. Then the name was changed to Lincoln College. It later was discontinued after several ownerships. However, during its activities it served as the educational arm of many later prominent personages.
The Achor Baptist Church was the first religious organization in Middleton Township, it being organized in August, 1804, with 14 members. The Presbyterians, United Presbyterians, Friends, United Brethren, Methodist-Episcopal denominations followed in turn with congregations that have functioned with more or less success ever since.
Salem Township has thirty-two sections, it losing four of its original to Perry. The surface of its land is rolling and the soil fertile and well adapted for agriculture and fruit raising. It is well drained by the head waters of both branches of Beaver Creek.
Peter Miller was the first settler, locating in its confines in 1803. John Blair, J. Gongware and Fred Belger closely followed him to the locality. They in turn were trailed to the place by Jesse Holloway, a Mr. Shearer who sold his tract to John Hilliard and John Rakestraw.
The township was organized on May 10, 1803. The first postoffice in it was established at Teegarden.
The village of Leetonia was named after William Lee of Randolph, N. Y. one of the incorporators of the Leetonia Coal & Iron Company. It is situated on the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne & Chicago Division of the Pennsylvania lines where it intersects with the Niles and Lisbon branch of the Erie system. The Leetonia house was its first hotel; it was on the site of the farm of David Hartman. The village was incorporated May 6, 1869. At its initial election on Aug. 23 of that year A. F. Hill was chosen mayor; M. E. Taggert, recorder and F. Fillnagle, recorder.
Allen Smith was the first principal of the initial school house which was erected in 1870. The Leetonia Banking Company, its first financial institution, was opened in 1876. The Presbyterian Church was organized July 19, 1867 with ten members. With Samuel Keene leader, a class of Methodists was formed two years later. In 1872 the Evangelical Lutheran Church began activity in the village. The Leetonia Roman Catholic Church was formed in 1866. A year later it had 26 families associated with it. In 1905 with Rev. D. B. Kirby in charge a brick church and a parochial school had been built and were being utilized. The Mennonites and Christian Scientists also had early adherents. Leetonia is an industrial town of importance. Its population in 1920 was 2,688.
Washingtonville is situated partly in Salem Township and partly in Green Township, Mahoning County. It was laid out in 1832. The first hotel was opened ten years later by Michael Frederick. The first Methodist services were held in the home of Phillip Houtz in 1844; Rev. John Murray was the first pastor.
Franklin Square was laid out by Frederick Best, who conducted a tannery there. Its first store was operated by Henry Dixon. The first postoffice was established in 1844. The Methodist Church was organized in 1828; The Disciples formed a church in 1830’ the Highland Christians under the direction of Rev. William Teegarden took definite form in 1860; in 1812 the Lutherans and Reformed Lutherans united; in 1823 Garrett Hart took the initiative in the organization of Section 31 of a class of people who were inclined to Methodistism. A log church was built which was displaced in 1860 by what became known as Hart’s Church. By 1905 it had come under the same charge as those in Washingtonville and Franklin Square.
St. Clair Township was named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair and originally embraced most of Liverpool Township in its southern section. It has an area of about 29 square miles, being rectangular in shape, five and three-quarters miles long and five miles wide.
The township is rich in natural beauty and lies high. Its soil is fertile. Little Beaver Creek flows in serpentine fashion along its northern border and is joined at Fredericktown by the north fork and the two thence to the Ohio River is known as the Little Beaver. The old Sandy and Beaver canal passed through St. Clair Township along the courses of the Little Beaver.
Building a log cabin about a mile and a half east of where Thomas Huston afterward lived, John Quinn, a hunter is held by many to have been the first white settler in the township in which he located in 1792 or 1793. However, the best authenticated first settler was Seth Thomas, who five years later located on Section 26. His son, Enos, aided in the organization of the county in 1803 and was for years one of its leading citizens.
James and John McLaughlin, in 1802, flatboated from Fort Pitt to Sections 21 and 22. John Coburn already was occupying one-third of the latter. In 1797 John Totten and Isaac Matten settled in Section 32. James Caruthers and John George and his sons Thomas and William, Samuel Huston, Robert Davis and Thomas Moore, William White, Cornelius Sheehan, Lewis Canne and Henry Fischer were among the early settlers.
In 1802 William Faulks built the first brick house in Calcutta. The place was then known as Faulkstown. Samuel Quigley was the first merchant in Calcutta, his son, Samuel Quigley, Jr., was the first physician in the hamlet and practiced his profession for fifty years with marked success. Joseph Green, a soldier of the War of 1812, kept the first tavern in Calcutta. Enos Thomas, as justice of the peace, performed the first marriage ceremony in the place, the contracting parties being Susanna Shaw and Jesse Smith.
In 1805 St. Clair’s boundaries were fixed to include thirty-six sections, but in 1834, the organization of Liverpool Township curtailed the latter to thirty.
The first church in the Township was also the first in the county, Long Run’s Presbyterian Church. It was formed in 1800 by the Rev. Thomas E. Hughes. He came to the locality from Pennsylvania. He preached first at the intersection of the two streets in Calcutta, the point then being shaded by a large tree. In the fall of that year the worship was transferred to Long’s Run. From it the church procured its name. Then removal was made to the farm of Paul Fisher, later owned by Ben Fisher where a log structure was erected. Rev. Clement L. Vallandingham, father of the agitator of secession during the Civil War, was the first pastor, he dividing his time with his Lisbon pastorate. He was said to be so punctual in his appointments that he would swim streams horseback in order to be on time.
In 1815 Rev. E. N. Scroggs organized the U. P. congregation at Calcutta; he preached for his flock until 1851 when he passed away. A building on the hill just south of Calcutta was built in 1865.
The Disciples Church at Fredericktown organized in 1827 by Walter Scott, had eight original members. In 1853 they built a church which in 1877 was removed to Fredericktown from its location a mile and one-half away. Elder Jackman was the first minister.
The first postmaster in Calcutta was William Christy. Fredericktown and Cannon’s Mill also had postoffices. The first teacher in the township was Joseph McKinnon, a soldier of the Revolution, who taught near the present site of Riverview Cemetery in East Liverpool. He was a friend of the famous Indian fighters, the Poe brothers, and of Captain Dan Brady. The latter was a member of the party that went on the expedition during which “Chief Big Foot” lost his life. In 1810 John Quinn taught school in a log house near the Calvin home on the Fredericktown Road.
W. H. McGuffey, who later became famous as the author of unequalled text books and the famed president of the University of Virginia, started his teaching experience in a log school house in Calcutta.
For a time after the Civil War Calcutta was the scene of great excitement due to an oil discovery that apparently was about to pay in generous quantities. The field suddenly went dry and considerable money was lost by those sinking wells in that vicinity.
Unity Township, of thirty-six sections, occupies the northeastern corner of the county. It is hilly in the southern and level in the northern part. Excellent coal and fire clay and some iron ore are to be found below its surface. Several large streams contribute excellent drainage and its soil is generally fertile.
Though numerous “squatters” from Pennsylvania infested the region the first settlers in 1800-1802 were Adam Ruppert, a Revolutionary War Soldier, Michael Baker, Robert Simison, later prominent jurist, David McCalla and Richard Dildine were the initial permanent settlers of the locality.
In 1806 they were joined by the large families of Conrad and Mathias Yarrian, Richard Beeson, John Sands, Aaron and Isaac Chamberlain, James Armstrong, John Bennett, Stephen Ogden, Benjamin Reeves and Joseph Taylor.
Three years previously William Harah, Jacob Greenmayer, the Blackburn brothers, four of them, James Early, the six sons of Henry Forney, Peter Eyster, Isaac Earley and Frederick Sheets, who had preceded them the summer before settled the various of the township’s sections as did John Taggart.
The township was organized in 1805 and grew rapidly during the ensuing half decade.
The village of Unity was laid out in 1810 by John Augustine. It early became an important point. Its pioneer merchant was Robert Veon and Henry Forney was the initial innkeeper. Dr. Hugh Martin, a noted physician, was the first of profession in the place and he practiced in it for twenty years from 1820.
New Waterford was platted in 1850 by John & Robert Silliman. It occupies Sections 19, 20 and 29 of the township. It was originally known as Bull Creek. John Silliman and John Nevin were its pioneer merchants. Above it for years numerous water power mills were kept in operation.
The flour produced in and about it from the early years of its history had a high standard of quality. The P. F. W. and C. R. R. R. touched the village in 1851.
The first church in the village had its beginning in meetings held in the log cabin of Adam Ruppert. Rev. John Stough usually was the minister in attendance. In Section 10 in 1884 the first log church was erected. On the same site the third church was built in 1861. Rev. Mr. Shaeffer became the initial pastor.
Seceders from the Rupert Society formed the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, which was built in 1840. Rev. Mr. Haelsche was the first pastor. Rev. David Hess formed the first M. E. Church in 1861. The Pleasant Heig Presbyterian Church was organized in 1825. Rev. Robert Dilworth was the first pastor. In 1858 the Methodist Episcopal Church was formed by Rev. G. D. Skinner.
Fred Kaupaman and Fed Mitchell were the early hotel men in the village with Dr. Frank Cox and D. M. Bloom as their pioneer physicians.
Carriage making became a leading industry with the activity of John M. Ott, who for several years employed about a dozen men to aid his initial labors in this line in 1877. By 1907 the establishment of George J., and Jacob H. Koch had made it the leading factory in the place.
East Palestine was platted in 1828 by Thomas McCalla and William Grate. It was laid out on a 640-acre plot of land originally owned by John Taggart. It was originally called Mechanicsburg. Then it was desired by Mrs. Dr. Robert Chamberlin to call it “Palestine,” the simple, earnest and virtuous life of its residents plus the beauty of the spot suggesting to her the name of the Holy Land. The prefix “East” was added in since another town in Ohio had already been named Palestine.
Dr. Chamberlin, who later became county surveyor and surveyed the routes for the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad which culminated in the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne & Chicago Line from the Ohio River to Salem, was the town’s first physician. In addition to a thirty years’ practice, he was also perhaps the village’s first merchant. He also served as postmaster. The first goods in the place was really sold from a log house by Edward Allender before 1831.
About 1854 the extraction from cannel coal, mined in the vicinity, of oil was an important industry in the hamlet. It was superintended by Loyal Case. With the discovery of petroleum the business became unprofitable.
East Palestine was incorporated in 1875. At the initial election on April 3, 1876, Enos Goble was elected mayor. Dainiel A. Correll, clerk, and John J. Bushong, treasurer.
Dr. Edmunson, living several miles away, furnished medical treatment for the early settlers, but Dr. Chamberlin was the first resident physician.
The first building in the town is said to have been put up in 1828 by William Grate. It was a log structure, and in it were sold the first goods in the place, by Edward Allender, some time before 1831. The trade extablished by Dr. Robert Chamberlin, as heretofore mentioned, was continued up to the beginning of the new century, in the later years the firm being Chamberlin & Company. Among those who were actively engaged in trade in earlier years were: John Crum, J. T. Brewster, B. Young and Young & Company, George Focht opened the first public house of the town about 1830. The second hotel was kept by J. C. Taggart, about the same time R. Barr and J. Hall opened inns.
Hon. James Martin was the first Republican to be elected probate judge of Columbiana County. He served from 1854 to 1859. He came to East Palestine in 1861. His farm house was located where North Market and Martin streets now intersect, the latter being named in his honor.
A military Company, first know as the “East Palestine Grays,” was organized August 23, 1875. The first commissioned officers of the company were: Hugh Laughlin, captain; J. A. Sampsell, 1st lieutenant; and John Flowers, 2nd lieutenant. They afterwards became Company E, Eighth Regiment, Ohio National Guard; and after keeping up the organization for about 20 years the company disbanded, the men being honorably discharged from the state service. Company E, Eight Regiment, Ohio National Guard, was afterward organized as a new company at East Liverpool, and served in the Spanish-American War in 1898.
Bernard Boatman, a pioneer of Columbiana County, is the only Revolutionary soldier buried in East Palestine Cemetery.
A special school district was formed for East Palestine in 1865. The first Board of Education was: J. T. Chamberlin, president; Hugh Laughlin, secretary; William M. Saint, treasurer. In 1875-76 a public school building was erected in the southern part of the village. It was a brick structure of two stories, containing six large rooms, recitation room a lecture hall, and the cost $14,000. It was opened for school purposes in the fall of 1876 with A.Y. Taylor as principal.
Religious meetings were held as early as 1802 at the house of Adam Rupert, Rev. John Stough being the preacher; and at the suggestion of Rev. Mr. Stough the people of the northern part of the township united to build what was afterward known as the Salem or Union Church, to be sued by the Lutheran and Reformed congregations. Accordingly, in 1803-04 a log meeting house was built on the southwest corner of Section 10. It was displaced in 1823 by a brick church. This building was, in 1861, taken down, and the house built, which at the beginning of the new century was still used by the Lutheran and Reformed congregations. In 1839 St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed and a building erected on Section 2, which afterward housed a flourishing congregation.
About 1830 Rev. Mr. Prosser began holding Methodist meetings at the house of Joseph Taylor, and soon after regular preaching was held in the Unity School House. A small meeting house was built soon after in the Village of Unity for the use of the society, which flourished for a time, but in a few years the appointment was suspended by the conference. In 1860 the work was reorganized, a new building was erected and some time later the society became the joint pastoral charge with the East Palestine Methodist Episcopal Church.
Methodism was introduced into East Palestine by the members of the old Burt Church in Middletown Township, and in 1865 meetings were held in the United Presbyterian Church at East Palestine. In a few years the interests of the Burt Church were transferred to the village, and the Methodist Episcopal Society formed, and a commodious building erected. However, in the summer of 1905, a handsome new church building was in course of erection, to be completed in the autumn of that year.
The New Waterford Methodist Episcopal Church was organized May 16, 1858, in Joseph Taylor’s barn, by Rev. G. D. Kinnear. In March, 1859, a frame meeting house was built and dedicated by the presiding elder of the district, Rev. D. P. Mitchell. Rev. J. H. Wilson was pastor of the joint charge embracing New Waterford, Fairfield and Kemble.
About 1902 the organization of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of New Waterford built a new house of worship. Rev. George Uber served the congregations of New Waterford and Columbiana.
About 1816 a Sunday School was organized at New Waterford by Richard Dildine and John Ross. Two Presbyterian home missionaries named Kohr and Rudibaugh secured an appointment and held services which were continued by others and not long after Rev. Thomas Hughes, of Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania, was secured to preach to the settlers, the services being still held in the school house. In 1823 the building of a small meeting house was commenced, which was used for a year or two in an unfinished condition. Occasional services were held, but it was not until August 20, 1826, that the church was formally organized. Andrew Martin, Robert Martin, David Scott and David Hanna were the first ruling elders. Mr. Dildine continued pastor until 1850. In 1873 a new church edifice was built. The Rev. Mr. Kirkbride of Columbiana served this church in connection with his home charge. The membership was about 200.
The Presbyterian Church of East Palestine was organized March 5, 1842, Joseph Curry, Ralph Martin, R. J. Robinson and Thomas Hamilton being chosen members of the first session. For some years ministerial supplies were furnished by the presbytery. The original house of worship was built about the time of organization and remodeled in 1875. About 1895 an entirely new building replaced the old one.
An Associate Reform Presbyterian congregation was organized in August, 1842, the total membership at the organization being nine persons, viz: John Taggart, David Luke, Robert McFilamy, the Johnson family, Maria Vance, and Benjamin & Elizabeth Blackburn. Benjamin Blackburn and John Taggart were the first elders. The meetings were held in the old Presbyterian Church until 1853, when the society built a church of its own. In 1858 it became the United Presbyterian Church. The first settled pastor was Rev. Samuel Patterson, who gave on-third of his time – from 1849 50 1858. Other early pastors giving from on-half to two-thirds of their time were: Rev. Hugh Sturgeon, A. Y. Huston, and W. W. Curry. About 1900 the congregation built a commodious and substantial new church.
A class of the United Brethren in Christ was formed in the southeast part of the township about 1855. In 1857 a small frame church was built west of the village on a lot given by Thomas McCalla. A new house of worship was built by the congregation, in the village, in 1879. The church has been connected with the Middleton and Fairfield circuits.
Washington Township, adjoining Jefferson County, was settled in 1803 by George Clark. It was originally formed as Saline Township in 1816 but later some sections were apportioned to Carroll County and some taken from Wayne and Franklin townships.
The earliest settlers included James Sharp, Cornelius McLeest, William McLoughlin, who arrived from Scotland and whose son, Alexander, became the first mayor of Wellsville, John Farmer, a Quaker, Thomas Patterson, John Hart, Thomas and Martin Adams, Moses Marshall, John and James Ogle.
Salineville, its largest town, was laid out by James and John Farmer in 1839 and incorporated in 1848.
The township was rich in slat, it being discovered by the Indians, so observed wild animals at “licks” which they had found. This attracted deer and other game to the locality in great numbers and made the section unusually fine for hunting until the country lost its wild character. Wells were dug during these early days with considerable success. The Bursons, Anthony Roof and John Farmer were prominent in the salt industry.
Following the advent through the town of the C. & P. Railway in 1852 the place began to prosper. John Tasker, who later removed to East Liverpool, became its first mayor. Then followed the awakening of the coal industry, which ever since has been carried on with success. The pioneer coal men were James Penrose, John Thompson, and Mat. Brown.
The Methodist Episcopal Church in Salineville was organized in 1840; the United Presbyterian Church was formed in 1837 or 1838; James Martine and Daniel D. McIntosh were the first elders; the Free Presbyterian Church became a unit on Jan. 28, 1850, John Thompson being the ruling elder; the Presbyterian Church was organized on May 19, 1864, with Joseph F. Williams and Edward Burnside as elders and Rev. Robert Hayes as initial pastor; the Disciples Church took definite form on Feb. 4, 1856, when 36 persons detached themselves from the Berea Church. In 1872, under the direction of Rev. P. J. McGuire, the Catholics of Salineville organized and built a brick church. The Primitive Methodists functioned from 1869 until sometime in the 80’s, when the loss by removals of numerous members caused disorganization.
The only battle of the Civil War in Ohio was fought in Washington Township, back of Salineville, when the celebrated raider, Gen. John Morgan, was defeated by Union troops under Major Rue, who chased him for 100 miles across the state.
“Salt boiling” was in the early days an important industry. Salineville, where the industry thrived most largely, received its name from its salt wells. Salt at the beginning of the century was a precious commodity in the west, ranking with the luxuries of the pioneer days. It brought higher prices than even sugar and flour, since it had to be brought over the mountains from the East. Frequently the ruling price was $5 a bushel, and even then the supply was often exhausted for weeks in the little settlements in the sparsely inhabited region. “Packing salt” over the mountains was a business much followed in those days by enterprising traders and until the salt spring of Columbiana County began to give up their yield, was attended with large profits. Stories are still told of the days when early settlers rode many miles to obtain a supply of salt, and prized it to an extent that in later years seemed ridiculous.
Salt springs were early found here and there throughout the southern part of the county, and finally settlers began making explorations, and boring wells for the precious staple. The industry quickly became profitable and was carried on for more than half a century, until the cheapness of the product shipped from Michigan and New York State put an end to the business.
George James, who came to Salineville from Kentucky is said to have bored the first salt well in Columbiana County in 1809. He obtained a strong pressure of water with but little salt, though he drilled two wells, the first was 300 feet (from which there was a strong flow of gas), and the second 900 feet. James Sharp sand three wells at about the same time. Several persons put down wells, but failed to find salt in sufficient quantities. In 1818 John Farmer, who had come to Salineville from New Garden, Hanover Township, bought three abandoned wells that had been put down by three brothers named Burson, and went into the salt business on a large scale. Farmer caught the business at its high tide, and, having considerable capital to invest, made money. The industry reached it height in the vicinity of Salineville in 1835, at which time there were 20 producing wells along Little Yellow Creek. AT that time Farmer’s output was more than 50 barrels a week, and he had meantime been joined by his son, James Farmer, later prominent in the development of the coal interests around Salineville, and in the building of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad. Farmer continued the business until 1853, when he sold it to Isaac Kirk, who operated the wells with more or less success until 1865, when the business ceased to be profitable about Salineville.
The business had decreased rapidly after 1835, however, the State reports for 1841 showing but eight salt wells in operation in the county, with a production of 2,800 barrels of salt yearly. Notwithstanding this apparent decline of the industry, a company formed in 1866, composed of about 30 men, most of them from New Lisbon, abandoned a search for oil in that year and turned their attention to the manufacture of salt. The company had been organized to test the rumored oil deposits along the middle fork of the Little Beaver Creek, a short distance northwest of New Lisbon. At about 687 feet depth salt water was struck, and simultaneously a strong vein of gas. The gas and salt water shot up 100 feet above the surface, the gushing process continuing for several days. The search for oil was abandoned, and the manufacture of salt was continued for many years successfully. While the well continued to flow, for about two years, the yield of salt was 15 barrels a day. Then for several years the gas was used for fuel under the boiler, and by the pumping process the yield of salt was increased to 30 barrels a day. The company dissolved in a few years, but R. G. Eells continued to operate the plant with good success until almost 1880, that being the last production of salt in Columbiana County. Peter Young was president of the company; John A. Myers, secretary and Baltzer Brown, James Starr, R. G. Eells and J. A. Morron among the stockholders. Several salt wells were bored during the 40’s and 50’s between East Liverpool and Wellsville, but the industry never proved successful. In 1880 the county was accredited with nine producing wells, and the production was given at 43,800 bushels. In the following year, 1881, only one well was in operation.
Wayne Township, five miles square, has twenty-five sections and adjoins Centre Township. Through it flows the west fork of Beaver Creek and is much cut up by the numerous streams flowing into it. The surface is rough.
Originally of 36 sections it lost five to Washington and six to Franklin townships when Carroll County was organizes. It was organized in 1806.
The township was settled in 1802 when Adam Poe, father of the fighting Poe brothers, Aaron Hull, James Hoge, Patick McKaig, the Sheehans, Armstrongs and Hutchinsons arrived in it. Aaron Hull is believed to have arrived in the locality a few months ahead of the others.
William Crafton is said to have owned the first grain cradle in the township and John McLeest the initial cart and wagon within its confines. John T. Parker was the first justice of the peace within its borders with Patrick McKaig and Thomas Roseburg following.
Prior to the rural free delivery Gavers and West Beaver were postoffice points.
Jean Meister and Gottlob Northdurft, two early French settlers, enjoyed the distinction of having served in European wars under Napoleon Bonaparte. Daniel Lindesmith was greatly noted as a hunter and expert rifle shot.
The Bethel Presbyterian Church was in existence in 1818 under the ministry of Rev. Mr. Robertson. In 1823 it was formally organized. Lebanon U. P. Church was formed in 1831 with the Rev. James Brown as the first pastor.
Robert Fleming was the first postmaster at Gavers and William Phillips at West Beaver.
West Township, possessing a rolling and hilly surface, is drained by the Mahoning River on the north and the Big Sandy on the south and the tributaries of the Tuscarawas on the south and west. It had 36 sections and was organized in 1816. Michael Sanor, a soldier who served under Washington in the Revolution, was the first settler in 1804. He had eleven children and john Ruff closely followed him with thirteen.
Other early settlers included Henry King, David Smith, John Hahn, and Isaac Davis. The families of William Harrison, John Freed and John Hahn, Jr., came to Section 13 in 1807.
The oldest hamlet in the township is New Alexander. It was platted in 1812 by about 20 acres of land owned by David Smith. It was on the old stage line for years. John Ritz operated a hotel in 1818 in the place which he called the Black Bear.
Chamberburg was laid out on Dec. 20, 1828. The proprietors were David Myers, George Ball and William McMillan. It, too, was on the old stage line, three miles west of New Alexander. Until it was destroyed by fiend in 1830 Samuel Miller kept a hotel in the place. J. D. Koffel then built and maintained a hotel in the hamlet.
East Rochester was platted in December of 1834 by J. G. Williard, under the proprietorship of Thomas Emmons and Isaac Davis. Previously on the site a postoffice known as Emmons Corners had been maintained. Additions to the place were made by George Sloan in 1854 and 1862. The town became a depot point of importance with the building of the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railway through the village in 1852. Joseph Coulson, postmaster, became the first station agent. The town has steadily progressed with the years. In 1925 Ralph W. Emmons, a descendant of the original owner, became state representative to the Ohio Legislature from Columbiana County and as such made possible the installation of the municipal court in East Liverpool.
Lynchburg was laid out on Dec. 4, 1834, the original landowners being Eli Wickersham and Amos Preston. An addition was added the same year by Amos Preston, William Hall and Phillip Wickersham. It was named after Lynchburg, Va. It was platted by reason of the building of the Big Sandy and Beaver Canal and did not thrive longer than that venture.
Moultrie was platted on Feb. 7, 1853. The survey was made by J. G. Williare. John Foulks owned the land. Hon. Daniel W. Crist, music publisher, caused a great business in its postoffice for a number of years.
Bayard was laid out in April, 1852, under the direction of James Farmer and Cyrus Prentiss, owners of the land. It became the junction point of the Cleveland and Pittsburg division and the Tuscarawas branch of the Pennsylvania Lines.
Religious activity began as early as 1810 when worship was had in log structures. The Society of Friends and Plains Disciples Church blazed the trail and were followed by the Presbyterians, Methodists and Lutherans. The Mennonites flourished for a period after 1840. About the same time Bible Christians had a society in the township. Later they changed their name to “Christians.” In 1870 they built a church at New Alexander. In turn the various churches have grown with the neighborhoods. The schools have also kept pace with other developments. Saw and grist mills were early industries. Farming has been continuously good throughout the township.
Yellow Creek Township joins Liverpool on the Ohio River, is of irregular shape and contains 28 sections. Because the Big and Little Yellow creek cross its borders it was given the same name. Coal, stone and fire clay abound.
The township was formed in 1805. Part of it was given to Jefferson County when Carroll County was formed. The territory comprising it was originally owned by a surveyor named Robert Johnson as a liquidation of a debt owed him by the United States Government. He sold 350 acres to James Clark of Pennsylvania who transferred the major part of his purchase to his son-in-law, William Wells, who located on it in 1797 or 1798. Mr. Clark later removed to the remainder of his land prior to 1800 and became a member of the Ohio Legislature in 1809 and lived on his farm until he was 104 years of age.
Part of the “Scotch Settlement” is in Yellow Creek Township. Wellsville is the chief place of the township.
Perry Township, composed of sixteen sections, is the center one in the northern tier. Its surface is gently rolling. It has few and small streams. It was named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, here of the Battle of Lake Erie. In 1806 Samuel Davis, of Pennsylvania, settled in what is now Salem. He cleared up a fine farm and devoted a portion of it to the Society of Friends, he being an ardent devotee of temperance.
The township was organized in 1832. Its history is practically that of Salem, which was an incorporated village before the township had been erected.
Liverpool Township borders the Ohio River just across from West Virginia. Its history is virtually that of East Liverpool.