1. Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were convicted and executed for allegedly giving atomic bomb secrets to the Soviets.
2. Both were avowed communists.
1. Many actors, writers, and directors had dabbled with the Communist Party in the 1930's when it was considered fashionable.
2. 10 of these movie industry people, the "Hollywood Ten" refused to testify and decided to go to prison rather than testifying to the HUAC claiming protection from the Constitution.
3. The industry responded by denying work to 250 actors, writers, and directors.