December 6, 1917 was the day that Halifax exploded. The worst disaster ever in Canada occurred on this day. In a matter of a few seconds the biggest accidental explosion in the history of the world killed over 1600 people and injured more than 9000. This web quest will help you to research the disaster and learn more about this event.
Find out more about the Halifax Explosion by answering the following questions in complete sentences. Go to the following website to start: Halifax Explosion
1. When did the Halifax Explosion take place?
2. What were the names of the two ships involved?
3. Which ship was headed out of the Bedford Basin to sea?
4. What was the Mont Blanc carrying?
5. What color flag should have the Mont Blanc have been flying and what does this flag indicate?
6. What did the crew of the Mont Blanc do after the collision?
7. What did the Mont Blanc create after it disintegrated?
8. What time did the explosion occur?
9. How many people were killed immediately?
10. How many were injured?
11. What part of Halifax was destroyed?
12. How far away was the anchor of the Mont Blanc blown?
13. When was the monument to the Mont Blanc erected? When was this monument dedicated?
14. What kind of storm compounded the disaster?
15. What were the hydrostones?
16. What is the monument to the fire fighters made of?
17. What image is on the front of the monument?
18. Who donated ten of the bells to the tower and why?
Find out more about the Halifax Explosion by answering the following questions in complete sentences. Go to the following website to start: Maritime Museum of the Atlantic
1. What type of ammunition was on the Mont Blanc?
2. News of the explosion reached what state in the U.S?
3. By what form of transportation were supplies brought in for the disaster?
4. What type of "gift" do the citizens of Nova Scotia send to Massachusetts each year?
5. How many homes were destroyed from the explosion?
6. Home many homes were damaged?
7. How many people were left without shelter?
Find out more about the Halifax Explosion by answering the following questions in complete sentences. Go to the following website to start: The Halifax Explosion on CBC
1. What was the name of the made for TV movie about the Halifax Explosion?
2. What street do you see when you first open the page?
3. Why was Morse code used during the explosion and why isn’t it used today?
4. What kind of weather did the rescuers have to deal with on December 6th?
5. What happened with the weather next that was unexpected?
6. Name three ships other than the Mont Blanc and Imo that were involved or damaged in the explosion?
7. What ship is now part of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and the last surviving vessel from the explosion?