23. From chapter x what can you deduce about the Manichean doctrine of human
24. What is important about the figurative interpretation of Scripture passages (V.xiv)’?
25. What is the point of the anecdote of the laughing beggar (VI.vi)? Can you relate this to the choice of lives in the Myth of Er in Book X of Plato’s Republic?
26. What analogy can you make between Alypius’ futile attempt to resist the temptation of the gladiatorial games (VI.vii-viii) and St. Augustine’s life? What does this tell us about Augustine’s view of temptation and the will?
27. You may want to compare the story of the exoneration of Alypius (VI.ix) with the History of Susanna in the Apocrypha. What do both of them say about the order of justice in the world?
28. Do you find chapter xv of Book VI troubling? If so, what exactly troubles you about it? What seems to trouble St. Augustine about it? Can you draw some parallels with Aeneas?
29. Where did Augustine get the idea (VII.i) that what remains constant is better than
that which is changeable?
30. Where did Augustine get the idea that matter might be the source of evil? Does he
accept this idea?
31. What is the• argument about Jesus Christ in VII.xix?
32. What does Augustine learn from his re-discovery of the Letters of St. Paul