(4) experienced foreign invasions of his country
that almost succeeded
47 • Scholars take civil service examinations for
• Students form Red Guard units to challenge
• Students demonstrate for democratic reforms
in the capital and are killed by government troops.
These statements describe the changing role of
students in which nation?
(1) Japan (3) Russia
39 One similarity between Mikhail Gorbachev’s
perestroika and Deng Xiaoping’s Four
Modernizations is that each
(2) maintained the democratic process
(3) strengthened communism
(4) increased global tensions
40 Which nation had the greatest influence on the
recent histories of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet?
(1) India (3) China
(2) South Korea (4) Russia