(3) Strong action was taken by the United Nations.
(4) Both events brought communist governments
41 • The people of Kashmir demand separation from India.
• The people of East Timor vote for
independence from Indonesia.
• The Tibetans resent control of their country by China.
• The Kurds want to establish their own
independent state of Kurdistan.
These statements are examples of the efforts of
different peoples to achieve
(1) free-market systems (3) social equality
(2) democratic governments (4) self-determination
35 A similarity between Peter the Great of Russia
and Deng Xiaoping of the People’s Republic of
China was that each
(1) resisted economic and social reforms in his country
(2) rejected the culture of his country in favor of
a foreign culture