(4) causes of World War II
37 After World War II, the Soviet Union maintained
control of many Eastern European nations
mainly because these nations were
(1) a source of new technology and skilled labor
(2) near warm-water ports on the Mediterranean Sea
(4) members of the North Atlantic Treaty
42 During the Cold War, the Soviet Union and the
democracies in the West competed for influence
in the Middle East because of its
(2) vast fertile farmlands and rivers
(3) large well-educated population
(4) industrial potential
43 Which statement about the spread of nuclear
weapons is a fact rather than an opinion?
(1) Nations possessing nuclear weapons should
not have to limit the production of weapons.
(2) The spread of nuclear weapons was a smaller
problem in the 1990s than it was in the 1970s.