(2) was located along the North Sea
(3) lacked natural resources
(4) was close to the Balkans
43 Which geographic factor played the greatest role
in preventing Russia from being conquered by
both Napoleon and Adolf Hitler?
(1) deserts (3) climate
(2) rivers (4) mountains
25 • Japan annexes Korea (1910)
• Japan attacks Manchuria (1931)
• Japan invades French Indochina (Vietnam,
Laos, and Cambodia) (1940)
Based on these events, the most valid conclusion
about Japan’s foreign policy is that Japan
2 based its aggression on the concept of isolation
3 was only interested in spreading its religion
4 readily accepted Western culture and values
32 What was a major reason for Japan’s invasion of
Manchuria in 1931?
(1) The province of Manchuria was originally a
(2) The government of Japan admired Manchurian
(3) The people of Manchuria favored Japanese control.