(4) an Indian subsistence farmer waiting for the
rains to water his crops
2 • A British bank makes a loan to a South
• A United States corporation purchases large
amounts of land in Guatemala.
• A Japanese investment firm becomes the major
shareholder in a Bolivian silver mine.
Which concept is illustrated by these situations?
(1) nationalization (3) interdependence
(2) isolationism (4) protectionism
38 Pacts such as the North American Free Trade
Agreement (NAFTA), the European Union
(EU), and the General Agreement on Tariffs and
Trade (GATT) reflect a movement toward
(1) national policies of protectionism