GHS Swainglish End-of-Trimester Exam Study Guide: 7th Grade, 2ndTrimester, 2015-16p.
This study guide is a close approximation of the Qs students might be asked on Thursday, February 18th. The exam will be worth 30 points. Students will be asked about ten of these Qs. Some Qs may appear on the exam that do not appear on this study guide. Students will have the majority of four class periods to discuss the Qs with the help of a student moderator. Mr. Swain will no longer give any answers, but may help clarify a few issues. Each student is ultimately responsible for his or her own answers. In the past I have seen students collaboratively choose incorrect answers while discussing such study guides and I have said nothing. In such cases, when the exams came to pass, a solid majority of students usually chose correct answers despite the earlier misdirection, which is often the result of one student arguing too strongly for an incorrect answer. Your contributions to the discussion are important, as is your own level of integrity and comfort in choosing the best answer. Short-answer Qs must be answered in COMPLETE SENTENCES. Some more complex short-answer Qs will be worth more points than others and considerably more than simple multiple choice Qs. In the exam, short-answer Qs will have space below them for your written answers; you may also request lined paper.
1. Any of the vocabulary words from Lord of the Flies can be set in a question with possible definitions below for choices. An example follows:
C. freedom from guilt or blame by being unacquainted with evil
D. a change or variation; unexpected changes in life
2. Which of the following is NOT a key duty of a student moderator?
A. A moderator evaluates whether student comments are right or wrong.
B. A moderator gets answers from other people.
C. A moderator helps the group STAY FOCUSED on the task at hand.
D. A moderator is polite, fair, supportive, and assertive.
3. After an essay writer categorizes one (or a few) of the main ideas given in the prompt, and after an essay writer has included those categorized ideas as supports in a thesis ¶, what is the most important strategy for creating a unified whole idea out of the thesis ¶?
A. look for a transition phrase to the next ¶
B. put proof of those points between the key ideas in the thesis ¶
C. choose the color of highlighter you want to use for annotating the text
5. List the five main modes of writing as listed on the “Modes of Writing, Overview” handout from the previous trimester. [This Q does not require complete sentences, a list format is preferable.] 6. The primary purpose of ________________ writing is to [The blank in the numbered part of this Q will be replaced with the name of one of the five modes of writing. The blanks in the lettered part of this Q will remain blank.]
A. entertain the reader. ______ writing can also be used to comment on or explore both society and the human condition.
B. (use the five senses to) describe a person, place, or event so that the topic can be clearly experienced in the reader's mind. The writer must use vivid details that paint a picture for the reader.
C. provide information such as an explanation or directions. The term _______ writing is sometimes used as a broad category of writing set apart from creative writing.
D. describe an experience, event, or sequence of events in the form of a story. ______ writing is most commonly a subset of creative writing.
E. give an opinion and try to influence the reader's way of thinking with supporting evidence.
7. When beginning to write a research paper, you must first ask questions you would like answered. The answers to those questions will become your main ideas to explore in the paper. What statement below is most accurate about the best types of questions for this purpose?
A. The questions should be rhetorical.
B. The questions should all have three parts.
C. The questions should have factual answers.
D. The questions should not have factual answers.
E. The questions should make the reader comfortable.
8. Write one sentence explaining the differences between their, there, and they’re. After your explanation, write a complete sentence (or two) that shows the differences clearly by using the words correctly. Write a final sentence explaining which of those three words should never show up in an MLA format paper and why. 9. This form of persuasive writing has a primary purpose of making a statement that the reader may disagree with, then supporting the statement with specific details that will convince the reader of the truth of the statement:
10. This form of creative writing has a primary purpose of imaginatively reflecting on a subject, idea, or event in a way that allows the reader to directly share and experience what the author intends:
B. narrative writing
C. descriptive writing
D. expressive writing
E. analytical writing
11. Define symbolism in one complete sentence. Give an example of a symbol used from Golding’s Lord of the Flies.
12. Use a symbolic object from Lord of the Flies to explain how changes to a symbol can lead readers to understand an author’s theme or message.
13.What is the symbolic significance of the conch in Lord of the Flies? Write at least one sentence briefly explaining what the conch represents. Write at least two sentences explaining different aspects, phases, or uses of the conch and how they enrich its symbolism so that readers can understand Golding’s message about human nature. 14. What is the symbolic significance of the island in Lord of the Flies? Write at least one sentence briefly explaining what the island represents. Write at least two sentences explaining how the island is different at the beginning of the book versus the end of the book and how that relates to Golding’s message about human nature. In your response, analyze different parts of the island.
15. Explain the idea that most (or possibly all) of the characters in Lord of the Flies devolve over the course of the story. Write at least three sentences explaining the characters’ outlooks at the beginning of the story, how those outlooks change during the story, and what the characters’ outlooks are like at the end. Give evidence from details you can remember from the book.
16. What is symbolic about fire in Lord of the Flies? Write at least one sentence briefly explaining the symbolism of fire in the novel. Write at least two sentences analyzing various uses or phases of fire and explain how those uses or phases enrich the symbolic significance of fire to help communicate Golding’s message about human nature.
17. What is symbolic about Piggy’s glasses in Lord of the Flies? Write at least one sentence briefly explaining the symbolism of Piggy’s glasses. Write at least two sentences analyzing various uses or phases of the glasses and explain how those uses and phases enrich the symbolic significance of fire to help communicate Golding’s message about human nature.
18. Explain the difference between the words affect and effect. After your explanation, write a complete sentence (or two) that shows the differences clearly by using the words correctly.
19. Explain the relationship between in-text citations and the works-cited list in an MLA style research paper. Write at least one sentence about the purposes of in-text citations and the items in the works-cited list. Write at least one sentence explaining what is different about the forms of the citations and the works-cited list. Write at least one sentence explaining how those differences in form might help the reader of a research paper.
20. Write at least one sentence explaining two types of mistakes students writing research papers might make that could be considered plagiarism. Write at least one sentence explaining how students can avoid such problems while still writing academically valid papers.
21. Write the full version of the 5¶ essay outline format.
22. Which of the following are prohibited in an MLA format paper?
A. the use of any second person pronoun (you, your, etc.).
B. contractions (can’t, they’ve, etc.).
C. a centered title.
D. Both A and B are prohibited.
23. Explain the grammatical benefit of using a plural noun for antecedents in essays, such as people instead of a person or health care workers instead of a health care worker.
24. On p. 84 of the novel Lord of the Flies, Piggy mentions that there are “doctors for everything, even the inside of your mind.” This shows that Golding was aware of basic psychological concepts, so we might try to apply some of the father of modern psychiatry’s ideas to the novel. Sigmund Freud divided the idea of a person’s self into three parts, id, superego, and ego. Write three sentences explaining what each of these concepts mean. Write a fourth sentence explaining how the three ideas relate to a normal, mentally healthy person. Write a fifth sentence identifying a character from the novel with id and explaining how that character’s traits and behavior match the traits in the concept of id. Write a sixth sentence identifying a character from the novel with superego and explaining how that character’s traits and behavior match the traits in the concept of superego. Write a seventh sentence identifying a character from the novel with ego and explaining how that character’s traits and behavior match the traits in the concept of ego. 27. Which of the sample works-cited list entries below is most likely to be in proper MLA format?
A. Andrew Loh. Developing Leadership Skills in Children. Brainy-child.com. 12 Nov. 2014.
B. Andrew Loh. “Developing Leadership Skills in Children.” Brainy-child.com. 12 Nov. 2014.
C. Loh, Andrew. Developing Leadership Skills in Children. Brainy-child.com 12 Nov. 2014.
D. Loh, Andrew. “Developing Leadership Skills in Children.” Brainy-child.com. 12 Nov. 2014.
E. Andrew Loh. “Developing Leadership Skills in Children.” Brainy-child.com. 12 Nov. 2014.
28. Which of the following is NOT general rule for the progression of ideas in a standard essay? [The order and content of the below answer set may change for the exam.]
A. thesis generally addresses all aspects of prompt
B. supports get more specific and explain
C. body ¶s get still more specific and include CD/proof
D. commentary explains clear relationships between above elements & concepts and ties various essay sections together
E. conclusion explores details of new concepts that were suggested in commentary
29. Expository writing is a very broad category that can have many subsets. Which of the following is NOT a possible subset of expository writing?
30. Which of the sample in-text citations below is in the correct MLA format? [The order of the lettered answers below may change, and a few minor details of the in-text citation format may change among the selections.]
A. “Listening to others is the first step in learning communication skills” (Loh 2).
B. “Listening to others is the first step in learning communication skills”(Loh, 2).
C. “Listening to others is the first step in learning communication skills”(Loh 2).
D. “Listening to others is the first step in learning communication skills.” (Loh, 2).
E. “Listening to others is the first step in learning communication skills.” (Loh 2)