What did Gualinto Take with him to school and what if anything did La India have in common with his school supplies?
Where did Miss Cornelia disappear too, and what Alicia and La India do to embarrass Gualinto and how did he react to their teasing him?
What object did Miss Cordelia use to discipline the boys?
Who was la Niña Osuna?
Why did Gualinto cause El Colorado to be punished and how did he react to Gualinto’s apology?
What does the author mean by the phrases “ warm morbid “slightly expurgated versions of the obscene gestures..”?
Why did Gualintoni add the letters : ch, ll and ñ when writing the alphabet?
How do you suppose that Colorado had such a negative opinion about girls?
Chapter 5 pages 124-132
What was the relationship between Gualinto and Miguel Osuna?
What expectations did Gualinto’s family have for him and why?
How did Miss Cornelia again humiliate Gualinto during their reading exercise?
How was did Gualintos friends like El Colorado acquire nicknames?
What did the boys on the playground do to goad Miguel and Gualinto into a fight?
Who was Mr. Baggley and why did Gualinto dislike him?
Who or What is a pugilist?
What did Francisco mean when he stated that he was “talking Castillian”?
What type of punishment did Miss Cornelia administer to the boys that would be considered illegal most Los Angeles public schools today?
Why was Francisco Four-Eyes so much different than the other boys?
Chapter 6 pages 132-137
What was Gualinto big secret about his real name and how did Miss Cornelia react when she learned his secret?
What was Armistice Day and what role did Gualinto play in its celebration at school?
What did the author mean when he stated that Miss Cornelia “said no…. a trifle disdainfully”?
What does the author mean when he states that “Maria smiled at Miss Cornelia’s condescension “ and her using “didactic tone”?
How would you contrast the behavior and demeanor of Miss Cornelia with that of Miss Huff?
Chapter 7 pages 137-141
1. What did the “old Guajolota” do to cause the students in her class to think that she was being nice to Gualinto?
2. Who was Don Onofre Osuna and what standing did he have in town?
3. What is meant by the term “ amor de lejos, amor de pendejos”?
4. What advice did the boys give to Gualinto about his expressing his affection for La Nena Osuna?
5. What did Gualinto write in his letter to La Nena and what were the consequences of his effort?
Chapter 8 pages 141-147
1. How did Gualinto react to the public whipping and humiliation that the suffered at the hands of Miss Cornelia? How would you have reacted?
2. How did Uncle Feliciano react to the incident at school?
3. What were the nature of Gualinto’s injuries and what medical treatment did he receive?
4. Why was Don Santiago called in?
5. What did Carmen have to say about what had gone on and why wasn’t it reported to her Mother?
Who accompanied Don Feliciano to the meeting with the principal and who else was present as witnesses?
What impact did the incident have on La Nena Osuna and why did Uncle Feliciano think that Gualinto would find a new love?
Chapter 9 pages 147 –150
How was it that Gualinto and other MexicoTexan students began to become Americanized?
What does the author mean that the many “Gualinto Gomezes” face external conflicts between “two clashing forces”?
How do we see the conflict within Gualinto over his name?