Review Questions Directions: Respond to these questions to the best of your ability. Answer the questions completely. If you need more space, use the back or a separate sheet.
1. Identify two examples of personification: explain what is being personified & how in each example.
2. Identify an example of hyperbole: explain how it is exaggerated.
3. Identify an example of metaphor: explain which two things are being compared.
4. Find three examples of imagery in the poem that access three different senses. Explain which senses are called on by the speaker for each example.
5. Contrast the tone of this line “Fathers! torn and numb,--” with the tone of the rest of the poem. How is this line different and why do you think that it is?
6. This poem was written by an African American poet during the Harlem Renaissance. Knowing this, how might one interpret the “Dawn” beyond its literal meaning? What might the “Dawn” represent?