These questions are for extra-credit. To earn one homework grade, complete one set of questions answered in complete sentences. You will be graded on participation and accuracy. You may choose to complete any or all of the question sets.
Part I: Chapters 1, 2, 3
1. What is the setting when the story opens?
2. Why did the fishing boats return?
3. What did Papa do the night he heard the news?
4. Why was the FBI picking up Japanese-American fishermen?
Include the meaning of the term habeas corpus and the result of the ruling.
3. What problem did the family face as a result of the court ruling?
4. Jeanne said she had a foretaste of being hated. How did she say she would have to respond?
How did she feel about it?
5. What comparison did Jeanne use to describe Papa now?
6. Why did Papa wait for the government to arrange his departure from the camp?
7. What event finally caused the camps to be completely closed? When did this happen?
8. Describe Woody’s journey in April 1946. Tell where he went, what he did, and whom he saw,
and how he was treated.
9. Jeanne says the family left the camp “in style.” Describe this.
10. What job did Mama take? What did Papa do after they settled into Cabrillo Homes?
Part II: Chapters 20, 21
1. What did Jeanne do on her first day in class that amazed one of the other students? What was
Jeanne’s reaction to the girl’s comment?
2. What was Jeanne’s double impulse?
3. In which areas was Jeanne allowed to perform? In which areas was there another set of rules?