1) Why was it said at the beginning of the 20th century that “the sun never sets on the British Empire”?
2) Briefly explain some of the motives for imperialism as outlined on p. 618-9.
3) Briefly describe some of the advantages that the Europeans had over the Africans.
4) Explain the difference between colonies, protectorates and spheres of influence.
CH. 25 – SEC. 2: THE PARTITION OF AFRICA
1) For what purpose were Sierra Leone and Liberia established?
2) What positives did European missionaries bring to Africa? How did they view the Africans?
3) Why was the Berlin Conference (1884) held? What was decided there?
4) How did the Belgians treat Africans in the Congo?
5) Which two European powers took the most territory in Africa?
6) Who were the two opposing sides in the Boer War? Who won?
7) What other competing countries joined in the “scramble” for Africa?
8) Explain how the Ethiopians successfully avoided becoming a colony.