|Early America: Conquest and Colonization
The Colonial Period Notes Worksheet
Directions: Answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. Be sure to answer short answer questions in complete sentences.
1. Columbus named the Bahaman natives _______ because he thought he had reached the _____.
2. What were the three main reasons for exploration?
3. Around 1600, exploration changed to _____.
4. In 1520, Cortes conquered the _____; in 1535, Pizarro conquered the _____.
5. _____ is the oldest permanent city of European origin in the US.
6. France explored _____.
7. The first English settlement in America was _____.
8. What happened to the Roanoke Colony?
9. The first permanent English settlement was ____ established on _____.
10. What role did Captain John Smith play in the Jamestown colony?
11. Who were the Separatists?
12. The leader of the Mayflower was _____ and the group of Separatists was called _____.
13. How did the Pilgrims survive the first winter?
14. In 1630, _____ established the ______.
15. What was the “city upon a hill”?
16. What is a theocracy?
17. Describe Puritanism.
18. What role did religion play in Puritanism?
19. What were some of the causes of the decline of Puritanism?
Share with your friends: