lespie, married Catherine A., daughter of Allen and Polly
Mebane Woodburn, in 1847. In 1861 they moved their mem-
bership from Alamance Church to Buffalo. Their children were
Members of the Congregation 67
who died young. Nannie C. married William Weatherly, son
of Bruce and Jane Denny Weatherly, in 1870 ; Carrie married
George B. Yates in 1883 ; Ella married John L. Thacker ;
Johnsie married Prof. Lee Blair; Rev. E. Eugene married
Mattie Lee, daughter of John M. Mclver, of Gulf. In 1887
this family was dismissed to Westminster Church, Greensboro.
Roddy E. Hanner, son of John and Sarah McAdoo Hanner,
of Alamance Church section, located one mile northeast of
Buffalo — - the Russell King place — in 1862 and united with
Buffalo. He had married Nancy, daughter of Samuel and Mary
Scott Rankin, in 1841. They had no children, but reared
J. Will Scott, his wife's nephew.
of the Pleasant Garden section, married Martha, daughter of
Marcellus Jordan, in 1856, and located one and a half miles
north of the church in 1862. Their children were W. Julian,
Edward M., James M., and Charles A. W. Julian married Mol-
lie H., daughter of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon, in 1883;
Edward M. married Lelia, daughter of George A. and Asenith
Wiley Denny, in 1885 ; James M. married Mary Anne, daughter
of James and ]\Iinerva Wharton Paisley, in 1884 ; Charles A.
married Katie Lambeth. Mr. and Mrs. Hendrix were dismissed
to the First Church, Greensboro, in 1904.
Robert C. Young, son of Col. Matthew, of the Alamance
Church section, married Caroline I., daughter of John and
Anne Gillespie Hanner, in 1864, and became identified with
Buffalo. Their children were John A., Annie and Sarah A.
John A. married Emma Hines, of Mount Airy, and became
identified with Holt's Chapel Methodist Church; Annie mar-
ried Rev. H. Frank Starr, of the Methodist Episcopal Church ;
Sarah A, died young.
Mark's Reformed Church in 1865. He married Mary J., daugh-
ter of William and Polly Cunningham Pritchett, in 1863. In
1878 he was dismissed to Fair Grove Methodist Protestant
68 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
married Mary P., daughter of James M. and Celia Donnell-
Donnell, in 1867, and became associated with Buffalo. His
grandparents and great-grandparents on his mother's side were
Leven Denny Aydelotte, son of Leven and Nancy, who lived
several miles north of Buffalo, married Jennie Frances, daugh-
ter of Harper and Anne Hanner Donnell, in 1867, and located
four miles east of the church, and united with Buffalo on certifi-
cate from Fair Grove Methodist Protestant Church. Their chil-
dren were Lacy, Oscar, Lizzie D., Walter A., Charles D., Annie
F., and Mabel F. Lizzie D. married Carlton V. Paisley, son
of James Robert and Susan Hanner Paisley, in 1895 ; Walter A.
married Nannie E., daughter of William H. and Bettie Wilson
Donnell; Annie F. married Beaty Donnell, son of William H.
and Bettie Wilson Donnell ; Mabel F. married Edgar Morris,
of Thomas ville ; Lacy, Oscar and Charles D. died young.
of Pleasant Garden section, located one mile north of the church
in 1868. He married Sarah Catherine, daughter of Paul and
Lavinia Rankin Coble, in 1866, and their children were Georgia,
J. Henry, Charles H., William P., Mary Ida, Arthur A., Minnie
L., Rosa C. and Lizzie E. Georgia married W. Magruder Moore,
son of William P. and Ladosca Scott Moore, in 1900 ; J. Henry
married Emma Bailey in 1926 ; Charles H. married Nina, daugh-
ter of Daniel E. and Jennie Purvis Albright, in 1896 ; William P.
married Ethel Whitlock in 1905 ; Mary Ida married Phillip L.
Rouzie, son of Dr. Archie and Kittie Lewis Rowzie, of Virginia,
in 1898 ; Rosa C. married William L. Wharton, son of John W.
and Sallie McNairy Wharton, in 1905 ; Lizzie E. married Carl L.
Wharton, son of John W. and Sallie McNairy Wharton, in 1911.
nard place near Brown Summit in 1868 and located there, and
became associated with Buffalo Church. He married Mary Anne,
daughter of Valentine Cobb, and their children were Jennie R.,
William T., Mattie, Thomas, Frank W., James F., and Emma I.
Jennie R. died unmarried ; William T. became a Presbyterian
minister and married Ella Bow, of Indiana ; Mattie married
Major Andrew Summers in 1872 ; Thomas married Leola Mas-
Members of the Congregation 69
ried Nannie Belle, daughter of George Dalton ; Emma I. married
James Peay in 1880. John Doggett died in 1895.
James C. Abbott, son of William, of Virginia, married Julia
C, daughter of Joseph G. and Delana Whittington Mitchell, in
1869, and located here. Their children were Mary J., George W.,
Carrie Belle, Delana and Myrtle. Mary J. married William
Hobbs ; George W. married Zula Parish ; Carrie Belle married
William Sullivan ; Delana married Ernest Garrett ; Myrtle mar-
ried first Andrew Hupp, second Mr. Swift, and third G. A.
daughter of Lorenzo D. and Eliza Spence Orrell, in 1869, and
located here. Their children were Minnie L., Rosa E., Jesse
Leslie, Charles R. and William L. Later this family moved to
Greensboro and united with the First Church.
John A. Hegwood married Martha E., daughter of Joseph
and Delana Whittington Mitchell, in 1873, and became identi-
fied with Buffalo. Their only child, Loula V., died unmarried.
Mr. and Mrs. Hegwood left a bequest to the church cemetery,
church. He united with Buffalo by certificate from the Mora-
vian Church at Winston-Salem in 1876, and his wife, Mary,
came from Bethlehem Presbyterian Church in Orange County.
Their children were Mary Lou, Carrie Janet and Robert W,
Mary Lou married W. E. Benbow; Carrie J. married James
McNairy, son of James D. Webb ; Robert W. married Cora
John Webb Wharton, son of John and Rlioda Webb Whar-
ton, of the Bethel Church section, married Maria Edwards, of
Chatham County, in 1876, and located at the Roddy E. Hanner
place. Their children were Ruth, E. Roy, Linda J. and Rhoda
W. This family moved to Greensboro in 1886.
vina Donnell Wharton, of the Brick Church section, located on
Hunting Creek in 1877. He married first Annie C, daughter of
Robert S. and Isabella McMurray Stewart, in 1877, and second
Sarah, daughter of J. D. Webb and Julia Moore McNairy, in
70 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
William L., Carl L., Lena, Vara, Shirley, Kathleen, Julia and
Richard E. William L. married Rosa C, daughter of Harrison
and Kate Coble Fields, in 1905 ; Carl L. married Lizzie E.,
daughter of Harrison and Kate Coble Fields, in 1911 ; Lena
married Earl Mendenhall ; Julia married Charles H. Doggett
in 1925 ; Richard E. married Hilda D. Davidson in 1929.
Alfred T. Whitsett, of Graham, married Ulalia C, daughter
of James M. and Celia Donnell-Donnell, in 1878, and became
identified with Buffalo. Their children were James M., Mary,
Onnie and Margaret. Several other children died young. This
family moved their membership to Midway when that church
was organized in 1888.
Donnell place in 1881, and became identified with Buffalo. He
married first Minerva Ann, daughter of Thomas Buchanan, in
1865, and second Mollie Coleman, of Person County, and third
Sallie Coleman, a sister of his second wife. His children by
the second marriage were Minnie B., Patrick H., Jennie and
Charles. This family moved their membership to Midway when
that church was organized.
Walker and Margaret Wharton Scott, and united with Buffalo
in 1881. Their children were Jessie N., Calvin, Lizzie A., Edgar,
Delbert, Nannie G., Gertrude V., Glen G., Robert M. and Don-
nell. This family later moved to Haw River, N. C.
William Newton Sikes, son of Willis, came from Bethel
Church section in 1883, and bought the John Carson Rankin
place. He married Cornelia, daughter of William A. and Mar-
garet Wiley Paisley, in 1872, and their children were William
Marion, Lacy W., Luther E., Alma, Cornelia J. and George A.
Rev. William Marion became a Presbyterian minister and mar-
ried May Lipscomb, of Virginia, in 1905 ; Luther E, married
Elizabeth McCollum, of Rockingham County, in 1907 ; Cornelia
married Charles L. Dallas, of Rockingham County, in 1909 ;
George A. married Ora Cobb, and lives near Gibsonville ; Lacy
W. died young.
Emsley W. Stratford, son of Henry, of the Bethel Church
section, bought a farm and located on the Battle Ground road
Members of the Congregation 71
ter of Thomas and Eveline Brower Dick, and their children
were Chauncey L., Fred W., Mary E., T. Blair, Maury and
County, in 1887, and located two miles north of the church and
united with Buffalo. His wife was Amanda. He died in 1897,
leaving no heirs.
Anna Johnston, of Woodleaf, N. C. When he resigned the pas-
torate here in 1892 they had three small children, Mary, Ruth
Wilson, of Bethel Church, married Cora B., daughter of Andrew
M. and Amanda Denny Gamble, in 1887, and located on Hunt-
ing Creek in 1888 and united with Buffalo. Their children were
Maxwell M., Nellie, Shirley P., Mary A., Cora Ruth and W.
Banks. This family moved to Greensboro, and in 1923 united
with the First Church.
J. Lewis Hawkins, son of John and Margaret Jane Malone
Hawkins, of Caswell County, located at the Robert R. Prather
place in 1888. He had married Mary F., daughter of Robert W.
and Rebecca Foushee Anderson, in 1886, and their children are
Annie, John W., Eva Margaret, Mamie, Sarah, Robert A., Janie,
James and Grace G. Annie married J. R. Jones ; John W. mar-
ried Tommie Boone, Mamie married Nestor G. Walker ; Sarah
married Ernest D. Hobbs, son of Lewis, of Alamance Church
section ; Robert A. married Margaret, daughter of E. C. Turner,
of Hawfields Church, in 1923 ; Janie married E. Frank Par-
kins ; Grace G. married John J. Fenton ; James is not married ;
Eva Margaret died in 1910.
mance Church in 1887. He married Mary Curtis, and their
children were Joseph, Ida E., Carrie Ethel, Olive Maude, Clay
D. and Currie. This family was later dismissed to Lee 's Chapel.
ern part of the county and bought the George A. Denny place
in 1890. He married Jane Murray in 1883, and their children
72 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
John A.J in 1922 ; Rankin married Ruth Carter. John Heath
James A. May, who lived near Lee's Chapel, united with
Buffalo in 1891. He married Annie D. Johnston, of Reids-
ville, and their children were Mary Alice, James C. and Annie
Rachel. In 1924 this family was dismissed to the Presbyterian
Church, Burkeville, Va. Miss Alice May, a sister of James A.,
also united with Buffalo, and died in 1914, bequeathing $100 to
H. Cicero Rudd, son of Hezekiah, of Monticello, married
Fannie R., daughter of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon, in
1891, and became identified with Buffalo. They lived near Lee's
Chapel. Their children were Ernest R., Ruth, Roy, Mary Fran-
ces, Annie W. and Julia. This family moved to Pleasant Gar-
den and when the Presbyterian Church was organized there in
1917 they were dismissed to that church.
Rev. J. McL. Seabrook located here as pastor in 1892. He
married Rachel Thornley, of South Carolina, and their chil-
dren were Ernest P., Alma, John Thornley, Mary, Josiah McL.,
Jr., Arthur R. and Rachel. When he resigned the pastorate in
1904 this family was dismissed to Gordonsville, Va.
Joseph Herman Kellam united with Buffalo on profession of
faith in 1896 ; he was the son of Julian and Sarah Cook Kellam,
but was reared by Mr. and Mrs. Samuel S. Heath, his parents
having died when he was ten years old. He married Maggie,
daughter of William and Fannie Norman Souther, and their
children are Annie Lee, Nosco H., Irene, Julius, Ruth, who died
young, and Mildred. Annie Lee married Russell Thornton.
Murphey W. Noah located in our midst in 1893. He had
married Barbara Sharpe, and their children were Alfred W.,
Cora L., Henry S., Marion W. and Zim. Cora L. married
Edward N. Brown.
mance Church section, married first Rebecca, daughter of Sam-
uel D. and Elizabeth Kerr Wharton, and second Martha, daugh-
ter of Daniel and Easter Gannon Thom. The children were by
the first marriage — Ernest W., Lizzie M., and Florence R. This
Members of the Congregatio7i 73
After the death of Mr. Stewart in 1901 the family moved their
membership to the First Church, Greensboro.
Charles A. McNeely, son of Thomas and Janet Busiek
McNeely, married Maggie L., daughter of Samuel and Martha
White Denny, in 1889, and united with Buffalo in 1903. Their
children are Myrtle, Kate, John, who died young, and Jessie.
Myrtle married William S. Moore, son of William P. and
Ladosca Scott Moore; Jessie married Milton C. Foust, son of
Edward Rankin, son of H, Edward, of Alamance Church
section, was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. McNeely when his mother
died. Edward Rankin McNeely married Annie Ola, daughter
of H. C. Simpson, in 1931.
1903 and became associated with Buffalo. He married Cornelia,
daughter of Joseph G. and Delana Whittington Mitchell. There
were no heirs. Mrs. Gallahan left a bequest to Buffalo,
Wilson, of Bethel Church section, married Martha E., daughter
of John E. and Mary Rankin McKnight, in 1903 and united
with Buffalo. Their children are James Robert A., Jr., Eliza-
beth A., and Martha K., who died young.
Henry L. Clapp, son of Peter, of the Mount Pleasant Metho-
dist Church section, married Ada, daughter of Robert A. Wilson,
of Bethel Church section, and located in our midst in 1904.
Their children were Lester C, Robert Lee, Minnie, Asa Carl,
May and Peter. Lester C. married Maud Stone and lives in
Greenville, S. C. ; Robert Lee married May Ward ; Minnie mar-
ried first Robert Bain, and second Edward Townes; Asa Carl
married Tommie Lee, daughter of John W. and Mary Booths
James, of Oconee County, S. C. ; Mary married Robert McPher-
son. Mr. Clapp was a Methodist and never united with Buffalo,
but his wife and children did.
Rev. J. W. Goodman became pastor of Buffalo in 1905. He
married Nettie Matton, of High Point. Their child is named
Grace. Mr. Goodman accepted a call to Hawfields Church in
1911, and the family was transferred to that church.
74 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
town Circuit of the Methodist Church of Southern Illinois in
1906. His wife was Katherine, and their children were Dr.
Philip W. and Walter S. In 1911 this family was dismissed to
Brooks Alta, Canada.
Dr. William P. Knight, son of Pinkney and Tabitha Williams
Knight, of Rockingham County, married Nellie M., daughter of
W. Julian and Mollie Cannon Hendrix, in 1906, and became
identified with Buffalo. Their children are William C, Mildred,
Helen, Holt, Margaret and Mary Ellen.
Thomas E. Morphis, son of Stephen, of Rockingham County,
located in our midst and united with Buffalo by certificate from
the Presbyterian Church at Reidsville in 1906. He had married
Frances, daughter of Henry Haizlip, and their children were
John, Lula, Sarah, Thomas W., Gertrude, Delia, Charles, Robert
C, J. Oscar and Geneva. John died young; Lula married James
P. Talley ; Sarah married Eulis Combs ; Thomas W. married
Jessie Coker ; Gertrude married Arthur J. Blackwood ; Delia
married Rita H. Armfield ; Charles married Myrtle Suratt ;
Robert C. married Nannie Wallace ; J. Oscar married Jennie
Swain; Geneva married Robert C. Brown.
Mrs. Sarah Anderson Doggett, the second wife of Wesley 0.
Doggett, united with Buffalo by certificate from Eno Presby-
terian Church in 1906. She is the daughter of Robert W. and
Rebecca Foushee Anderson, of Orange County. Their children
are Felix and James A. Felix married Alene Loy in 1933.
James A. married Mary E. Norton in 1933. Mrs. Doggett 's
stepdaughter, Anna, also joined Buffalo. Anna married Luman
W. Doggett, son of James F., and moved to Washington, D. C.
W. 0. Doggett is the son of James W., and his first wife was
Phipps of the Alamance Church, married Mamie, daughter of
John E. and Mary C. Rankin McKnight, in 1907, and located in
our midst and united with Buffalo.
of Cumberland County, married Bessie, daughter of J. E. and
Ruth Emma Joyce Mills, of Stokes County, in 1917, and their
Members of the Congregation 75
Lockamy located in our midst in 1907 and later joined Buffalo.
nolds Minor, united with Buffalo in 1907. He married Donie,
daughter of Robert Daniel and Margaret Murray Wright, and
their children are Eugenia Jeanetta, William Robert, Jr., and
Benjamin A. Simpson, son of Thomas D. and Serena MuUis
Simpson, of Union County, N, C, located in our midst in 1905,
and he united with Buffalo Church on profession in 1908 and
his wife by certificate from the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He married Toy D., daughter of David L. and Cynthia Jennings
Owen, of Pittsylvania County, Va., in 1892, and their children
are Claude A., Eugene W., H. Albert, Faye B., Charles V.,
Ransom C, Irma L., Ernest F., Ruth E. and Frances L. Claude
A. married Winnie W. Rowe ; Eugene W. married Roxie Crow-
der ; H. Albert married Ruby Thornlow ; Faye B. married
Charles R. Youngblood ; Charles B. married Virginia Myrick ;
Ransom C. (1906-1908) ; Irma L. married Harry L. Whittington.
certificates, Mr. Sellers from the Reformed Church and Mrs. Sel-
lers from the Baptist Church. In 1917 they returned to Cul-
peper, Va., and were dismissed to the Presbyterian Church there.
Rowan County, N. C, moved to our midst in 1909 and united
with Buffalo. Their children are Audry, Kate, Clara, Gilbert
and William, Audry married George H. Kirkman ; Kate mar-
ried J. A. Coble ; Clara married G. A. Flintum ; Gilbert married
Sadie Honeycut and William married Mary Herbin.
Medearis, of Summerfield, married Hattie E., daughter of Wil-
liam D, and Jennie Gilmer Wharton, in 1909, and later united
with Buffalo by certificate from the Methodist Episcopal Church,
Their children are Francis Wharton, who died young, and John
of Dr. William M. and Josephine Rankin Albright, in 1910, and
united with Buffalo, Their children are Bertha Lee, Rankin A.,
76 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church a7id Her People
married Miss John Kirkpatrick, of Mecklenburg County. In
1913 they moved to Yanceyville.
Rev. E. Frank Lee located here as pastor in 1913. He mar-
ried Elsie Barbee, of Durham, and their only child is Elsie. In
1923 they were dismissed to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
William Chappell, son of Edward, of Bedford, England,
came to this community in 1913 from Wisconsin and united
with Buffalo. He had married Carrie E-., daughter of William
Slack, also of England, and their children are Faith, Edward,
Daisy, George and Doris. Faith married Mr. Watson, of Mon-
tana ; George married Nellie, daughter of Robert Gilchrist ;
Doris married Charles Gilchrist, son of Robert.
J. Gurney Coble, son of W. R., of Alamance County, married
Mattie Coble, also of Alamance County, and located in our
midst and united with Buffalo in 1913. Their children are
Viola, William C, J. Gurney, Jr., Thomas K., Mary Lillian and
James. Mrs. Coble died in 1922 and Mr. Coble in 1927.
Henry A. Barnes and his wife united with Buffalo by cer-
tificates from the Methodist Protestant Church in 1915. He is
the son of James A. and Ida Lane Barnes, of Nash County, and
he married Euphemia, daughter of John H. and Susan Hughes
Dail, and their children are Murriel, Carlotta and James Nor-