John M., Eunice and Jane. This family moved to Ray County,
Mo., in 1841.
Margaret, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Donnell-Donnell,
in 1822 and united with Buffalo Church. There were no chil-
dren. John Carroll died in 1839.
and bought 200 acres from the heirs of Robert Doak on North
Buffalo and became a member of Buffalo Church. His wife was
Jane, and their children were Robert M., A. W., James and
Martha M. He was a brother of Mrs. Martha Moderwell, wife of
Nathaniel Kerr, Jr., son of ruling elder Nathaniel, Sr., of
Alamance Church, married Hannah, daughter of Samuel and
Margaret McMurray Mitchell, in 1822, and located here. He
built the old brick dwelling across the road from the church.
Their children were Malinda, Louisa, Elizabeth J. and Samuel M.
Malinda died in 1842 at the age of twenty years ; Louisa married
Adam M. Rankin, son of Robert and Margaret Scott Rankin, in
1842 ; Elizabeth J. married Samuel D. Wharton, son of Elisha,
in 1846; Samuel M. married Elizabeth C, daughter of Samuel
E. and Jane Mitchell Shelton, in 1850, Nathaniel Kerr, Jr.,
died in 1830.
58 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
He married Mrs. Polly Finley Cunningham, widow of John, Jr.,
and daughter of James Finley, in 1828. He lived four miles
north of the church for a while, then moved to Greensboro.
Their only child, William, died in 1831. James Mclver died in
David G. Forbis, son of Hugh and Elizabeth Gorrell Forbis,
of Alamance Church section, married Asenith, daughter of
David and Sarah Donnell Woodburn, in 1826, and located on
South Buffalo and united with Buffalo. Their children were
Sarah S., David Washington, Elizabeth and Hugh Rufus. Sarah
S. married Alfred Lewey, in Illinois, in 1851 and died in 1855 ;
David Washington married first Nancy Hannah, daughter of
William and Anna Hatrick Donnell in 1872, and second Julia,
daughter of Moses and Caroline Hanner Rankin, in 1883 ; Eliza-
beth married Preston W. Weaver ; Hugh Rufus was killed in
battle in the Civil War.
Church, bought of William Rankin Wilson a farm between
Greensboro and North Buffalo in 1826 and located there. In
1831 he sold this farm to his brother Watson and bought of
Allan Denny a farm on the north side of the creek (the Textile
Dairy place) and located there. He married first Elizabeth,
daughter of Major John and Elizabeth Denny Donnell, in 1826,
and second Rachel D., daughter of William and Anna Hatrick
Donnell, in 1881. His children were by the first marriage and
were Elizabeth, Julia P., Mary Ellen, John E., and William D.
Elizabeth married Dr. Joseph A. McLean, son of Marshall, Sr.,
in 1850 ; Julia P. married Rev. Cyrus K. Caldwell in 1849 ; Mary
Ellen married John C. Cannon, son of Ibson and Martha Rankin
Cannon, in 1855 ; Captain John E. married Pattie J. Cole in
1866 ; William D. married first Mary Eliza, daughter of Col.
Newton and Eleanor McMurray Wharton, in 1865, and second
Jennie S., daughter of James R. and Nancy Smith Gilmer, in
1876. David Wharton died in 1902 in the 99th year of his age.
Shields Sloan, of Augusta County, Va., located in Greensboro
in 1827 and united with Buffalo, They later moved their mem-
bership to the First Church, Greensboro. They were nephews
Rev. William Denny Paisley
Members of the Congregation 59
ried Sarah Johnson, of Orange County, in 1833, and their chil-
dren were Daniel G., Robert M., George J., Thomas J., James A.,
and Mary Elizabeth. Daniel G. died yonng. Robert M. Sloan,
Sr., married Sarah, daughter of Rev. William D. Paisley, in
1836, and their children were William P., John A., Fannie,
Sarah, Roberta, Robert, Jennie, Julia P., Ida and Martha M.
William P. and Robert died young.
of Simeon and Abraham Geren 654 acres on North Buffalo in
1827 and located here and united with Buffalo Church. He
married Lucretia, daughter of John and Patsy Galbreath, in
1821. In 1836 he sold this farm to James Wharton, grandfather
of Edward P., and moved to Tennessee some time later. We
have the names of only two of his children : Julia and Isabella.
Julia married William F. Jean in 1841, and Isabella married
Dr. John A. Moring, son of Christopher, in 1847.
William H. Gumming, son of William, of Hillsboro, bought
a farm near the church in 1829, and located here. A little later
he bought the George Nicks place, where J. Al. Rankin lived, and
located there. He married Lavinia Rose in 1828, and their chil-
dren were Eliza G., James D., William A., Henry A., Preston,
Mary, Lavinia, and Beverly Rose. Eliza G. married James G.
Morrison in 1865 ; James D. married Kate, daughter of William
S. Rankin, in 1856 ; William A. married Mary A., daughter of
William S. Rankin, in 1859 ; Mary Lavinia and Beverly Rose
died young. This family moved to Greensboro.
west of the church, in 1829, and located there. He married
Sarah Black in 1810, and their children were Elizabeth, Allen,
Rebecca, Eliza, Pleasant, Martha and Jane I. Elizabeth mar-
ried Phillip Thomas in 1850 ; Eliza married George D. Coleman
in 1854 ; Pleasant married Polly Andrews ; Martha married
Joshua Ricks ; Jane I. married Joseph Carter.
Marcellus Jordan came from Louisburg, N. C, and located
two miles north of the church in 1829. He was a brother of
Green D. Jordan, a ruling elder in the First Church, Greens-
boro. He married Maria Wright, of Caswell County, and their
children were William, Mary T., Elizabeth, Marcellus, Jr.,
60 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
Jane Washburn and died leaving one child, Alice, who married
Hawkins Rudd; Mary T. married Jack Tatum; Elizabeth never
married ; Marcellus, Jr., married Mary M., daughter of Samuel
Thomas ; Martha A. married John L. Hendrix, son of Edward,
in 1856 ; Cornelia married A. I. Coltrane ; Benjamin F. married
first Elizabeth Dickey in 1867, and second Tempie Osborne.
Joseph Kirkpatrick came from Orange County in 1829. In
1831 he married Docie, daughter of Samuel and Margaret
McMurray Mitchell, and located near the church. Their chil-
dren were Julia W., Hannah E., David N., Margaret J., and
Samuel A. Julia W. married Daniel E. Albright, son of Jacob
and Sarah, in 1855 ; David N. married Susan Bain, of Orange
County ; Margaret J. married John G. Efland, son of John, and
moved to Tennessee ; Hannah E. and Samuel A. died young.
Joseph Kirkpatrick died in 1859.
John Perdew married Mary, daughter of Adam Mitchell, in
1830, and located here. We know but little of this family. In
1839 Mrs. Perdew resigned as sexton of the church, giving as
her reason for resigning that they were moving away.
located on the north side of South Buffalo in 1832 and became a
member of Buffalo Church. He married Sarah G., daughter of
Robert and Rachel Denny Hatrick, in 1830. Their children were
Margaret J., Elizabeth A., Joseph and Alexander Calvin. Alex-
ander Calvin married Cornelia, daughter of Alfred and Jane
Brown Gray, in 1867, and moved their membership to Bethel
Church. The other children never married. Samuel H. Denny
died in 1888.
William Vanstory, son of John, Jr., and grandson of Dr.
John, bought of John McClintock a farm near Brown Summit
in 1833 and united with Buffalo. He married Nancy, daughter
of James M. Hughes, and their children were Jennie, Lelia,
Julia, Dora and Lizzie. Jennie married Daniel W. Corl ; the
other girls moved to Newton.
from Alamance Church in 1833. He was the son of John
Houston, a Scotchman, who was living on South Buffalo in
Members of the Congregation 61
Anna Boyd in 1805, perhaps a daughter of James Boyd, who
was living on North Buffalo at that date. Their children were
Nathaniel B., William M., John B., Joseph A., Margaret M.,
Polly B. and David B. Nathaniel B., a physician, married
Lucinda Ryan in 1853; John B. married Mrs. Harriet Barnes,
nee Puryear, in 1840 ; Col. Joseph A. married first Catherine A.,
daughter of John and Agnes Gorrell Stewart, in 1835, and sec-
ond Margaret Fox in 1869 ; William M., Margaret M., Polly B.
and David B. never married.
in 1834, and united with Buffalo. He had married Catherine L.
Caruthers, a sister of Dr. Eli W. Their children were Cornelia,
Eli C. and Laurence (Tobe). Cornelia married George M.
Adams in 1853 ; Eli C. married Mary Short ; Laurence moved
McMurray, of the E-ock Creek section, in 1832. In 1835 he
bought of George Denny a farm just east of the David Wharton
home place and located there. Their children were Cora, Wil-
liam, Charles, Madison, Daniel, Mary Jane, Kate Emma, and
Frank. In 1841 he sold this farm to John F. Donnell and moved
Andrew Weatherly, son of James, and grandson of Jesse,
who settled on South Buffalo in 1779, located in Greensboro in
1832. He married Margaret, daughter of Robert and Nancy
Hanner Gillespie, in 1833, and their children were Mary Eliza,
Nancy L., Robert D., William John, Andrew, Margaret, Celia
and Alice. Mary Eliza married Levi Scott, son of John D., in
1861 ; Nancy L. married Walter P. Caldwell in 1857 ; Robert D.
never married ; William John married Lucy Roseboro ; Andrew
married Lizzie Payne ; Margaret married William Rufus Mur-
ray in 1867 ; Celia married Samuel Jordan ; Alice married Mr.
Davidson. This family was dismissed to the First Church,
Greensboro, in 1848.
est in the old mill on Church Street extension, in 1837, and lo-
cated there as the miller. He married Eliza, daughter of James
and Margaret Lester Spence, and their children were Daniel W.,
62 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
and Jeff. Daniel W. married Leanna, daughter of Albert and
Polly McMurray Rankin, in 1867 ; William C. married Mar-
garet E., daughter of James M. Hughes, in 1868 ; Emma C. mar-
ried Jesse T. Abbott, son of William, of Virginia, in 1869 ; Rob-
ert M. married Roxanna, daughter of Caleb and Anne White,
in 1870 ; Mary Eliza married McKinzie J. Bodenhamer, of
Winston, in 1868. L. D. Orrell died in 1870.
kin, of the Alamance Church section, located on the south side
of North Buffalo in 1837. In 1847 he bought the Bryant Piercy
farm (the Sikes place) and located there. He married Betsy A.,>
daughter of Thomas and Hannah Rankin Denny, in 1837, and
their children were Mary Ladosca, Cornelia and William T.
Mary Ladosca and Cornelia died rather young ; William Thomas
married Mary, daughter of James and Hannah Burnsides, in
1871. This family moved to High Point.
Pleasant McAdoo, son of David and Elizabeth Nicks McAdoo,
of the Alamance Church section, married Euphrasia, daughter
of John M. and Eliza Ryan Gilchrist, in 1842, and located two
miles north of the church. Their children were John L., Gran-
ville Ryan, Ella Dora, Albert, Adolphus S. and Brantley P.
Ella Dora married William E. Bevil, son of Archie ; Albert mar-
ried Nannie, daughter of Alfred and Sarah Mimms Summers ;
Adolphus S. married Emma V., daughter of Archie and Jane
Rankin Bevil, in 1873; John L., G. Ryan and Brantley P.
died unmarried. Pleasant McAdoo died in 1886.
kin, of Alamance Church section, bought the George Nicks place,
one mile north of the church, and located here in 1844. He
married Sarah Caroline, daughter of John and Sarah McAdoo
Hanner, in 1843. Their children were S. Corinna, Martha E.,
Josephine R., Tabitha, Julia, Nelson Eugene, A. Mack and J. Al.
Tabitha died young; Corinna and Martha E. never married;
Josephine R. married Dr. William M. Albright, son of Jacob, in
1867 ; Julia married David Washington Forbis, son of David
and Asenith Woodburn Forbis, in 1883 ; Nelson Eugene married
Allie, daughter of John W. and Nancy Donnell Kirkman, in
1886 ; A. Mack married first Annie, daughter of General W. T.
Members of the Congregation 63
Prince, of Baltimore, Md. ; J. Al. married Leila, daughter of
Thomas B. and Martha Wilson Donnell, in 1890. Moses M.
Rankin died in 1879.
ward Weatherly, who settled on Reedy Fork in 1778, married
Elizabeth, daughter of Col. William and Jane Ryan Denny, in
1844, and their children were William H., Julius M., Robert 0.,
David M., Lelia, Claudia and Betty. William H. married Nancy,
daughter of D. D. and Caroline Woodburn Gillespie, in 1870 ;
Prof. Julius M. married Laura, daughter of John J. and Lydia
Hill Armfield, in 1882 ; Robert 0. married first Bettie Redout
in 1873, and second Flora Stanley ; David M. married first
Safronia Atwater, and second Mary C. Bagwell; Claudia mar-
ried Thomas Archer ; Bettie married W. R. Butler in 1880 ; Lelia
James McKnight 234 acres on the headwaters of North Buffalo
in 1844 and located here. His first wife was Louisa, and he
married Laura M. Ferrell, of Rockingham County, in 1848.
There were no children. He died in 1872.
John Efland, of the Kimesville section, located south of North
Buffalo in 1844. His wife was Elizabeth, and their children
were Sampson, John G., Rebecca, and perhaps others. Sampson
married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Sarah Albright-
Albright, in 1843, and he died in 1847, leaving one child, Madi-
son L., who married Miss Sarah Bain, of Orange County, and
Madison L. located there. The village of Efland is named for this
family ; John G. married Margaret J., daughter of Joseph and
Docie Mitchell Kirkpatrick, in 1857, and in 1873 he moved to
Winchester, Tenn., his mother and sister going with him.
Sarah Witty in 1830, and second Parmelia, daughter of George
and Lydia Forbis Donnell, in 1845. His children were by the
first marriage : Paulina, Elizabeth, Pascal, Gozeal, Mary Anne,
Cammie and John T. John Rhodes, Sr., was a member of the
congregation and paid on the pastor's salary.
64 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
of Erwin Donnell, in 1846, and became identified with Buffalo.
Their children were Joseph, Margaret V., Mary E. J. and Noah
E. Joseph married Mrs. Emma Cobb Buchanan, daughter of
Hiram Cobb ; Mary E. J, married Henry A. Wilson, son of
Andrew, Jr. ; Margaret V. and Noah E, died young. George
W. Climer died in 1853.
Alfred Summers, son of Jacob, of Alamance County, located
on Reedy Fork in 1847. He may not have been a member of
Buffalo, but he was a member of the congregation and both of
his wives are buried here. He married first Amanda C. Rice,
of Caswell County, in 1854, and second Sarah E. Mims, also of
Caswell County, in 1858. There was one child by the first mar-
riage, Rufus A. A., and by the second marriage, Thomas, Nannie,
Jacob, Jane and Alfred. Rufus A. A. was a member of Buffalo,
and later moved to California ; Thomas moved to Florida ; Nan-
nie married Albert McAdoo, son of Pleasant and Euphrasia
Gilchrist McAdoo ; Jacob married Annie L., daughter of Robert
W. and Rebecca J. Foushee Anderson, of Orange County ;
Alfred married Ethel, daughter of William Henry and Jennie
James Denny's estate, on the Moore road, in 1847, and located
there. He married Margaret, a sister of Alfred Summers, Sr.
They had no children, but reared Sidney N. Smith, who located
at Guilford College.
Franklin L. Gorrell, son of Robert and Rebecca Doak Gor-
rell, married Caroline C, daughter of Robert and Nancy Hanner
Gillespie, in 1848, and united with Buffalo. Their children were
Robert and Franklin L., Jr. Robert married Flavia Ingold;
Franklin L., Jr., married Carrie L., daughter of John H. and
Mary Thorn Thacker.
Rebecca, daughter of William Permar, in 1850, and located
west of the church. Their child was Cyrus N., who married first
Lou Ozment, and second Elizabeth Wheeler.
Rebecca, daughter of Samuel G. Hamilton, in 1855, and located
Members of the Congregation 65
man married Mrs. Nancy E. Donnell Climer, widow of George
W., and daughter of Brwin Donnell, and their children were
Charles W. and AUie H. Charles W. married Georgia, daughter
of Thomas Rankin and Hannah Hardin Greeson ; and Allie H.
married Nelson Eugene Rankin, son of Moses M. and Caroline
Albert Rankin, son of Thomas and Patsy McQuiston Rankin,
of the Alamance Church section, bought a farm of 328 acres
northwest of the church in 1856, and located there. This farm
was where Hamtown is now located. He married Polly, daugh-
ter of John and Mary Baker McMurray, in 1837, and their chil-
dren were Martha J., John H., Leanna B., Isabell A., Mary C,
James T., William C, Robert W., Loula E. and Albert C.
Martha J. married Council Tucker in 1860 ; John H. married
Mrs. Caroline Buchanan Donnell, daughter of Thomas Buch-
anan, in 1866; Leanna E. married Daniel W. Orrell, son of
Lorenzo D., in 1867 ; Isabell A. married Mebane Lamb in 1872 ;
Mary C. married John E. McKnight, son of William and Eliza-
beth Albright McKnight, in 1869 ; William C. married Julia,
daughter of John C. and Mary Wharton Cannon, in 1881 ; Loula
E. married William A. Clapp, son of Asa, in 1879 ; Albert C.
married first Ella C, and second Emma J., daughters of John C.
and Mary Wharton Cannon. James T. and Robert W. died
Robert Wharton, son of Elam and Elizabeth Rankin Whar-
ton, former owners of the Doggett Mill, bought a farm four
miles north of the church and located there in 1856. He mar-
ried Malinda, daughter of John and Margaret Rankin Nelson,
in 1833, and their children were James M., Margaret E., William
Plummer and Mary Jane. James M. married Margaret, daugh-
ter of Solomon Armfield, in 1864, and located at Jamestown;
Margaret E. married Adam Walker Scott, son of Donnell and
Elizabeth Walker Scott; William Plummer married Anne Eliza
Lewis ; Mary Jane married James H. Motley in 1877.
John C. Cannon, son of Ibson and Martha Rankin Cannon,
of Cabarrus County, married Mary Ellen, daughter of David
and Elizabeth Donnell Wharton, in 1855, and in 1857 they
located on North Buffalo, four miles east of the church. Their
66 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
Frances R., Emma J., and John D. Julia married AVilliam C.
Rankin, son of Albert, in 1881 ; Bessie W. married John W.
Paisley, son of James and Minerva Wliarton Paisley, in 1887 ;
Ella C. married Albert C. Rankin, son of Albert, in 1889 ; Mollie
H. married W. Julian Hendrix, son of John L., in 1883 ; How-
ard L. married Jennie, daughter of Rev. Richard Webb, in 1901 ;
Frances R. married H. Cicero Rudd in 1891 ; Emma J. married
Albert C. Rankin in 1896 ; John D. died unmarried.
William P. Moore, son of Samuel, of Rockingham County,
married Ladosca A., daughter of Thomas Barr and Mary Thorn
Scott, in 1858, and located here. Their children were Wilson S.,
Artelia J., Walter Magruder, James P., William S., Wallace E.,
Dora, Watson and Belle. Wilson S. moved to Missouri and
married Julia Shaver; Walter Magruder married Georgia,
daughter of Harrison and Kate Coble Fields, in 1900 ; William S.
married Myrtle, daughter of Charles A. and Maggie Denny
McNeely, in 1914; Artelia J., James P., Wallace E., Dora and
Watson died unmarried.
Mitchell in 1860, widow of Joseph G., and daughter of Col.
Nehemiah Whittington. His wife was a member of Buffalo
and he united there also. They had one child, Alice, who mar-
ried Eugene Hegwood, a brother of John A., and they had two
children, Inez W. and Edna 0. Inez W. married Charles Rob-
bins and Edna 0. married Earl Clarida.
Rev. James C. Alexander (1831-1886) located here as pastor
in 1861. His wife was Elizabeth Ann Blake, of Greenwood,
S. C, and their children were Hattie, Adger G., Charles B.,
J. William, and Rosa A. Hattie married Captain Claude Mor-
rison, of Charlotte ; Adger G. married Berta, daughter of John
D. and Susan Bencini Donnell ; Charles B. married Carrie Clary,
of Greenwood, S. C, and lives at Shelby ; J. William married
Fannie Plowden, of Greenwood, S. C, and lived at his father's
homeplace ; Rosa A. married J. A. Murray, son of A. H. Murray.