know it no more."
A board of trustees for the cemetery has been elected and
incorporated. The members are Dr. W. P. Knight, H. A.
Barnes, Thomas A. McKnight, Carl L. Wharton, and W. Gil-
mer Wharton, secretary and treasurer. This is separate and
apart from the trustees of the church. These trustees have
beautified part of the grounds, and are making other improve-
176 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
ments. They are raising an endowment fund for perpetual
care. The following persons have made contributions to this
Mrs. Attie Wharton— 1921 $1,000.00
Mrs. Julia Eankin Forbis— 1923 100.00
Mrs. Mary J. Wharton Motley (bequest)— 1923 50.00
Mr. and Mrs. John A. Hegwood (bequest)— 1925 100.00
Mrs. Cornelia Mitchell Gallahan (bequest)— 1925 100.00
W. Vance Trollinger (bequest)— 1931 50.00
Others have written bequests in their wills.
We do not know when the first rock wall was built, but it
must have been about the time the second building was erected.
The wall was around the entire graveyard. The south wall
was moved about fifty feet farther south, in line with the new
church building shortly after it was erected in 1827, thus tak-
ing in a number of graves that were then outside of the old
wall. The old east wall ran north from a point about half way
between the present building and the gate east of the church.
In 1868 this wall was moved 170 feet farther east, taking in
what has been known as the new part of the graveyard. In
1924 the south wall west of the church was moved thirty-five feet
farther south, thus bringing it in line with the new David
Caldwell Building; and the old west wall was moved one hun-
dred feet farther west to the highway, thus taking in the site of
the first church building. J. Al. Rankin and H. A. Barnes were
the prime movers in having this done, and were also instru-
mental in having a hedge planted around the whole front yard
of the church.
BUFFALO MEN IN PUBLIC OFFICE
The Buffalo congregation has often been called upon to fur-
nish men for important public positions. Dr. Caldwell was a
member of the first state convention at Halifax in 1776 that
framed the first state constitution; and he was a member of the
state convention in 1788 that approved the federal constitution.
Alexander Martin became governor in 1781 when Governor
1804, 1805 and 1806; Robert Lindsay, 1812; James McNairy,
1814, 1815, 1816 and 1818 ; William Ryan, 1816, 1817 and 1818 ;
Robert Donnell, 1817 and 1819 ; John Rankin, 1820 ; James W.
Doak, 1848 ; William Unthank, 1824 ; Dr. Rufus K. Denny, 1890.
The High Sheriffs from Buffalo were:
James Brown 1777-1778
John Gillespie 1779-1783
Hance Hamilton 1786-1790
James Coots 1793-1794
Zaza D. Brasher 1795-1796
Abner Weatherly 1797-1807
178 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
Simeon Geren 1813-1814
James W. Doak 1825-1847
James Milton Cunningham 1879-1881
Joseph S. Phipps 1932-
Clerk of Superior Court:
Thomas Caldwell 1807-1847
Clerks of County Courts and Register of Deeds :
Thomas Hamilton 1788-1791
John Hamilton .1791-1815
John Hanner 1816-1832
Alfred E. Hanner 1832-1836
Robert T. Woodburn 1848-1854
Members of the County Court and Commissioners :
William Gowdy, 1783; James Brown, 1783; William Dent,
1780; Alexander Caldwell, 1780; Robert Bell, 1801; Zaza D.
Brasher, 1801 ; David Caldwell, Jr., 1809 ; J. Al. Rankin, 1908-