Web quest questions and summary
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/andrewjackson/ Directions: Follow the instructions to complete the activities and questions below. Click on “Andrew Jackson: A Life”
Click on “A Wild Young Man”
1. Describe Andrew Jackson as a child.
2. How was Jackson affected by the American Revolution?
3. List 3 professions Jackson had before he became President.
Click on “The War Hero”
4. Who was Jackson’s army fighting just before the Battle of New Orleans?
5. What was nickname did Jackson’s troops give him and how did he earn this name?
6. Describe the effect the Battle of New Orleans had on Jackson’s life.
Click on “The Candidate”
7. Why was Jackson unlike any previous presidential candidate?
8. How did Thomas Jefferson describe Andrew Jackson?
9. List the names of the four candidates that ran for president in 1824.
10. Describe and explain IN DETAIL the events surrounding the “corrupt bargain” that led to the
election of John Quincy Adams in 1824.
11. Who won the presidential election of 1828?
Click on “The First Modern Presidency”
12. What did Jackson do as soon as he became President that upset many of his adversaries?
13. Explain the “spoils system.”
Click on “Themes”
Click on “Indian Removal”
14. What was the “Trail of Tears”?
15. How many Cherokee Indians died during the Trail of Tears (Click on “Trail of Tears”)
18. Describe and explain (Creek Indian) Mary Hill’s grandmother’s experience during the Trail of Tears.
Click on “What Does America Owe Slavery?”
19. Explain Jackson’s opinion of slavery?
Summary Questions and Activities (Pick 1 option) 1) Should Andrew Jackson be celebrated on the $20 bill or should he be considered a tyrant? Answer in 1-2 paragraphs. Then create a new $20 bill that includes a picture of Andrew Jackson or choose another person to replace Jackson on the 20.
2) What are three important accomplishments that Andrew achieved in his life? Explain how each was important then explain how you think he should be remembered in history?
Watch the music video: Europe Cherokee
http://www.cleanvideosearch.com/media/action/yt/watch?videoId=cGilIVM-thY Paul Revere and the Raiders : Cherokee People
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ6RjP7MlXk Andrew Jackson’s Firsts
http://www.history.com/topics/andrew-jackson/videos#andrew-jacksons-firsts Andrew Jackson and the 20 dollar bill
http://www.history.com/topics/andrew-jackson/videos#jackson-and-the-20-bill President Jackson’s Assassination attempt