(1) ___________________ was the pamphlet written by (2) _____________________ that spread
throughout the colonies and convinced many (3) _____________________ to become
(5) _________________________ was the leader of the rebel group known as the (6) __________________
_____________________ . People who joined the patriot formal military, or the (7) ____________________________ , were
(8) _____________________ from each colony. This group was headed by (9) __________________
_____________________. At the (10) ____________________________________ the delegates decided to send the
(11) ______________________________________ , which was the last written effort made by the patriots before declaring independence. At (12) ____________________________________ , which is near (13) _________________________ , Ethan Allen and (14) ___________________________ led their troops through an opening in the gate to conquer the British and (15) ____________________ so they could steal their weapons/ammunition. These weapons were marched over 200 miles to a place called (16) ________________________ , where the (17) ______________________ and Continental Army defended their position. The (18) ___________________________________ was mainly written by (19) _____________________
_____________ , who was inspired by John Locke who said that all people have certain
(20) ___________________________________ rights. This document was a list of (21) _________________
against King George III and British Parliament. The first man to sign the document was (22) __________
_________________ , who was the president of the Second Continental Congress AND wrote the largest. At the Battle of (23) _______________________, which should have been called the Battle of Breed’s Hill, Israel Putnam AND (24) ________________________ are both given credit for saying, “Don’t fire until you see the whites of their eyes; then, fire low.” (25) ____________________ was the man who introduced a resolution to declare independence. He is known for his famous quote “These United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states!” 26) The first and most prominent signature on the Dec. of Indpd. belongs to
Samuel Adams. D. Thomas Jefferson
John Adams. E. John Hancock
C. Thomas Jefferson.
27) The first words of the Dec. of Indpd. are
“ We the people…” D. “Four score and seven years ago…”
“ My fellow Americans…” E. “When in the course of human events…”
C. “We hold these truths to be self-evident…”
28) The bulk of the Dec. of Indpd. consists of
powers given to the new Congress. D. descriptions of natural rights.
details about how the new nation will be governed. E. grievances against the king of Great Britain.
29) The Dec. of Indpd. claims that
tyranny is more important than liberty. D. some men are natural-born leaders.
slaves are not “true people.” E. all men are created equal.
all men have the right to own property.
30) According to the Dec. of Indpd, what must any state do when it dissolves political ties?
Apologize to those who do not desire to separate. D. Announce the reasons for the separation.
Wage war against the mother country. E. Provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare.