Which of the following would be the best title for a book about the last half of the 20th century?
What factors aided the spread of communism in Eastern Europe following World War II?
presence of Soviet troops in Germany
Which policy was articulated by the TrumanDoctrine in the late 1940s?
4. Give 3 examples of the Cold War becoming "hot":
A. Cuban Missile Crisis
B. Berlin Blockade
C. Korean Conflict 5. - Became familiar with the Bolshevik movement in 1919 in France
- Was a dedicated follower of V.I. Lenin
- Became the leader of the Vietnamese Communist movement
Who is described above?
Ho Chi Minh
6. After World War II, West Germany : __________ :: East Germany : ______________.
capitalism, communism 7. Give 3 reasons that Mao Zedong and the communists were successful with their revolution:
A. Mao appealed to the poor peasants in the countryside.
B. The Nationalists were unable to stop China's economic decline.
C. The Nationalists only had control over a few provinces in the Yangtze valley.
8. Who is credited with speaking out frequently against communism and was the intended victim of an assassination plot that was widely believed to be sponsored by the KGB?
John Paul II 9. Mass murders destroy diversity and other cultural resources. For example, __________ decimation of Cambodia's educated classes surely did severe damage to Cambodia's culture.
Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge
10. Cause : Effect :: ____________________ : the Breakup of the Soviet Union.
33. What is a negative outcome of China’s Cultural Revolution?
the oppression of political prisoners during the Cultural Revolution 34. The boundaries of newly independent African countries were often based on –
divisions imposed under European imperialism
35. A major goal of the Hutu-led regime in Rwanda in 1994 was to –
eliminate the Tutsi minority 36. A major reason for the outbreak of conflict between Arabs and Israelis was that in 1948 both groups-
claimed sovereignty over the same land 37. The rise of radical Islamic Fundamentalism after the 1979 Iranian Revolution has brought about –
an increase in incidents of global terrorism
38. Treatment of Armenians by Ottoman Turks during World War I and the Serb treatment of Muslims in Yugoslavia in the 1990s both provide examples of –
attempted genocide 39. Which of the following has been an important impact of globalization?
Producers often make parts of an item in different countries to lower costs. 40. Which woman was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for her work in caring for the poor and homeless people living on the streets of India?