Chapter Eight Study Guide 1. What was resolved when the Second Continental Congress met in 1775?
2. most important single action of the Second Continental Congress
3. traits George Washington exhibited as commander of America's Revolutionary army
4. (A) fighting at Lexington and Concord, (B) convening of the Second Continental Congress, (C) publication of Common Sense, (D) adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
5. Battle of Bunker Hill
6. American invasion of Canada in 1775
7. When did King George III officially declare the colonies in rebellion?
9. The Revolutionary War began with fighting in __________; then in 1777-1778, fighting was concentrated in __________; and the fighting concluded in __________.
10. Why the colonists delayed declaring their independence until July 4, 1776
11. purpose of the Declaration of Independence
12. the resolution "These United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states . . ."?
13. effect of Thomas Paine's pamphlet Common Sense 14. What did Thomas Paine argue that all government officials?
15. What did The Declaration of Independence contain?
16. When America became a republic and political power no longer rested with an all-powerful king, how did things change?
17. Those Americans who opposed independence for the colonies were labeled __________ or __________, and the independence-seeking Patriots were also known as __________.
18. Like many revolutions, the American Revolution was?
19. Describe the Americans who continued to support the crown after independence had been declared.
20. What fates befell colonial Loyalists?
21. What was the basic strategy of the British in 1777?
22. How did George Washington help restore confidence in America's military in late 1776 and early 1777?
23. Which battle was each of the following British generals involved?
a. William Howe b. John Burgoyne c. Charles Cornwallis
25. Describe French aid to the colonies.
26. British Parliament after the humiliating defeat at Saratoga in 1777
27. Battle of Saratoga a key victory for the Americans
28. alliance with France: how, why, effect, etc.
31. Who was the commander of French troops in America?
32. Shortly after French troops arrived in America, what caused the resulting improvement in morale to stagger?
33. effect of fighting on the frontier during the Revolution
34. Where did the colonists suffer their heaviest losses of the Revolutionary War?
35. a. George Rogers Clark b. Nathanael Greene c. John Paul Jones
36. Indian nations joining the British during the Revolutionary War
37. Indian chief who fought for the British in New York and Pennsylvania
38. What was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix, and what was its result?
39. What was the most important contribution of the seagoing "privateers" during the Revolutionary War?
40. How long was the war after the British defeat at Yorktown?
41. What were American diplomats to the peace negotiations in Paris in 1782-1783 instructed by the Second Continental Congress to do?
42. Why did Britain give America generous terms in the Treaty of Paris?
43. Regarding the provisions of the 1783 Treaty of Paris, did America fulfill all of its promises? Why?
44. Why did many Americans remained loyalists during the Revolution?
45. What fates befell Loyalists after the Revolutionary War?
1. George Washington 12. John Paul Jones