2. In what ways is America’s high tech economy similar to and different from the American economy of several decades ago? Be specific.
Affluence and Inequality
Know: Welfare Reform Bill of 1996
3. Your textbook suggests several possible causes for the widening income gap in America? Which cause or causes do you think are the most likely reason for this phenomenon? Explain.
The Feminist Revolution
Know: Family Leave Bill (1993)
4. What accounts for the enduring economic gap between women and men?
The Fading Family
5. Which of the statistics about families in this section most surprises you or do you feel is most significant? Explain.
6. What are the implications of the aging of America?
The New Immigration
Know: Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986
7. Why did the new immigrants of the 1980s and 1990s come to America? Why has the Hispanic immigration population of the southwest maintained its language and culture better than previous immigrant groups?
Makers of America: The Latinos
8. According to your text, why have Mexican immigrants been relatively slow to become US citizens?
Know: United Farm Workers Organizing Committee/Cesar Chavez
11. Describe the challenges that the African-American community still faces in this country.
The Life of the Mind
12. How did what Americans read indicate the state of American society at the dawn of the new century? Give specific examples. Have you read any of the books mentioned in this section? If so, what were your impressions?