Critical Analysis (large or small group): Revolution or Evolution?
Ask students to return to the documents to identify the advantages and disadvantages for the working class of a revolutionary overthrow of the capitalist system, and the efforts by more moderate socialists to improve working conditions within the capitalist system. In discussing revolutions, some questions to consider include:
• What are the advantages to revolution?
• What are the potential disadvantages?
• Does Marx or Lenin offer a clear sense of how the economy and government will work under the new system?
• Can students identify any potential dangers to revolution?
• What potential advantages or disadvantages does the more moderate socialist movements offer?
• Can working within the system really achieve the goals of socialism?
• To what extent does the existence of a capitalist system work against the interests of the proletariats?
Conclude by asking whether students think that the lot of industrial workers across the world today has improved markedly compared with the experiences of their predecessors in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries?