A. Mahatma Gandhi criticized industrialization as economic exploitation.
1. few people have agreed with him
2. every kind of society has embraced at least the idea of industrialization since it started in Great Britain in the late eighteenth century
B. The Industrial Revolution was one of the most significant elements of Europe’s modern transformation.
1. initial industrialization period was 1750–1900
2. drew on the Scientific Revolution
3. utterly transformed European society
4. pushed Europe into a position of global dominance
5. was more fundamental than any breakthrough since the Agricultural Revolution
C. We don’t know where we are in the industrial era—at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end.