Archives and History.
§ 121‑1. Short title.
This Article shall be known as the North Carolina Archives and History Act. (1973, c. 476, s. 48.)
§ 121‑2. Definitions.
For the purposes of this Article:
(1) "Agency" shall mean any State, county, or municipal office, department, division, board, commission or separate unit of government created or established by constitution or law.
(2) "Commission" shall mean the North Carolina Historical Commission.
(3) "Department" shall mean the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources of the State of North Carolina.
(4) "Historic preservation" shall mean any activity reasonably related to the identification, research, conservation, protection, and restoration, maintenance, or operation of buildings, structures, objects, districts, areas, and sites significant in the history, architecture, archaeology, or culture of this State, its communities, or the nation.
(5) "Historic property" or "historic properties" shall mean any building, structure, object, district, area, or site that is significant in the history, architecture, archaeology, or culture of this State, its communities, or the nation.
(6) "North Carolina Museum of History" shall mean an establishment or establishments administered by the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources as the official State museum of history for the collection, preservation, and exhibition of artifacts and other materials that have been determined by the Department or by the Commission to have sufficient historical or other cultural value to warrant retention as evidence of the history and culture of the State and its subdivisions.
(7) "North Carolina State Archives" shall mean an establishment or establishments administered by the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources as the State's official repository for the preservation of those public records or other documentary materials that have been determined by the Department in accordance with rules, regulations, and standards of the Historical Commission to have sufficient historical or other value to warrant their continued preservation and have been accepted by the Department for preservation in its custody.
(8) "Public record" or "public records" shall mean all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, photographs, films, sound recordings, magnetic or other tapes, electronic data processing records, artifacts, or other documentary material, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by any agency.
(9) "Records center" or "records centers" shall mean an establishment or establishments administered by the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources primarily for the economical housing, processing, servicing, microfilming or security of public records that must be retained for varying periods of time but which need not be retained in an agency's office equipment and space.
(10) "Secretary" shall mean the Secretary of Natural and Cultural Resources.
(11) "State historic site" or "state historic sites" shall mean a property or properties acquired by the State and administered by the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources because of its or their historical, archaeological, architectural, or cultural value in depicting the heritage of the State. (1973, c. 476, s. 48; 2015‑241, s. 14.30(s), (t).)
§ 121‑3. Name.
The archival and historical agency of the State of North Carolina shall be the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. (1945, c. 55; 1955, c. 543, s. 1; 1973, c. 476, s. 48; 2015‑241, s. 14.30(s).)
Share with your friends: