2. What is a filibuster and why can it only be held in the Senate?
3. Does the congressional system, as it now operates, better fit the pluralist or majoritarian model of democracy? Please use examples for your justification.
4. To what factors do members of Congress rely on when deciding how to vote on legislation?
5. Distinguish between the trustee and delegate roles of representatives. Which role, if either, tends to be more characteristic of American legislators?
6. What are the principal roles of committees in the Congress? How do committees help Congress work more effectively? What are the drawbacks of committees?
7. What is pork-barrel spending/earmarks? How are earmarks distinguished from other types of spending? Should reforms be considered to reduce earmarks?
Answers to Multiple-Choice Questions