6. Why did the settlements of Corinne and Ogden grow at this time?
Brave Men in Wooden Boats (pg. 188-189)
7. Who was John Wesley Powell?
8. Why did he travel down the Green and Colorado Rivers?
9. What were two of his major contributions to Utah and the Western U.S.?
Settlements Spread Out (pg. 190-194)
10. Who advised the settlers in the Vernal area to build a fort for safety? _____________________________
11. Why did the Hole-in-the-Rock group have such a hard time relocating in Bluff? What did they have to do to get there?
12. Which group of people settled in Iosepa?
13. Why did the people of Iosepa have such a hard time adjusting to life in Utah?
14. Where were the majority of settlements in Utah before 1857?________________________________
15. Where did the Mormons build settlements after 1857? (see page 192)
Religious Congregations Prosper (pg. 195)
16. What were three new religions that came to Utah in the late 1800s?