1b. Outnumbered by more than 10:1, the Confederate forces do what to try to trick the Union troops/commanders?
FIRE ARTILLERY ACROSS A WIDE AREA.
MARCH MEN IN CIRCLES THROUGH PARTIAL CLEARINGS.
SET UP WOODEN LOGS PAINTED BLACK TO LOOK LIKE LARGE ARTILLERY PIECES.
ALL OF THESE THINGS MAKE IT SEEM LIKE THE CONFEDERATES HAVE A LOT MORE MEN THAN THEY REALLY DO AND MORE/LARGER ARTILLERY THAN THEY REALLY DO.
2. According to the video, the odds of the following happening were:
Dying in battle: 1 in __65____
Being wounded: 1 in __10_____
Dying of disease: 1 in __13_____
3. The Battle of Shiloh:
What state is Shiloh located in?
Which side is winning at the end of the first day of battle?
Which side wins the battle? What is the single biggest event that allows them to win?
UNION WINS THE BATTLE.
GENERAL GRANT (UNION GENERAL) FINALLY RECEIVES REINFORCEMENTS HE HAD BEEN HOPING FOR—BASICALLY, HIS ARMY DOUBLES OVERNIGHT. WITH THESE FRESH TROOPS, GRANT ATTACKS AND DRIVES BACK THE CONFEDERATES .
About 2,477 men were ____KILLED________ at Shiloh; there were 23,000 casualties overall—more than all the previous ____U.S. WARS__________ combined.
Shiloh is a Hebrew word meaning _________PLACE OF PEACE______________________.
Why was Grant removed from his command after Shiloh?
THE GIVEN REASON WAS BECAUSE OF THE HUGE LOSS OF LIFE.
BUT THE REAL REASON WAS THAT HIS COMMANDER WAS JEALOUS OF HIS VICTORIES AND SAW HIM AS A THREAT.
1. After the “disaster” for the Union at the Second Battle of Bull Run, it looked possible that ______GREAT BRITAIN______________________ might recognize the Confederacy as an independent nation; if this happened, they could decide to try to end the Union blockade—recognition of the South could very likely lead to __WAR________ between England and the U.S. Prime Minister Palmerston waited to see what would happen with Lee’s invasion of the North…
2. Lee’s troops met Union troops outside of Sharpsburg, __MARYLAND______. This battle was actually made of ____3_______ smaller battles between the 2 sides. The battle ends in a draw. What information is given that makes it seem that the Union could have done better in the battle?
UNION TROOPS BREAK THROUGH IN THE CENTER OF THE CONFEDERATE LINES, BUT THE ADVANTAGE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY McCLELLAN.
McCLELLAN DOES NOT SEND REINFORCEMENTS TO SUPPORT TROOPS COMMANDED BY GENERAL BURNSIDE (WHOSE MEN HAVE FOUGHT TO TAKE AN IMPORTANT BRIDGE) AFTER HE HAD PROMISED BURNSIDE IN ADVANCE THAT HE WOULD SEND HELP IF NEEDED.
3. What famous woman is mentioned in the video? What is she helping to do?
SHE HELPS THE WOUNDED MEN.
LATER SHE FOUNDS THE AMERICAN RED CROSS.
4. After the battle, Union commander McClellan does what that upsets President Lincoln—what opportunity was missed? What does Lincoln do with McClellan?
THOUGH THE BATTLE IS BASICALLY A DRAW, LEE DOES HAVE TO ABANDON HIS PLAN TO INVADE THE NORTH. MANY FELT McCLELLAN SHOULD HAVE PURSUED LEE BECAUSE HE MIGHT HAVE CRUSHED HIS ARMY AS HE ATTEMPTED A RIVER CROSSING BACK INTO VIRGINIA.
PRESIDENT LINCOLN FIRES McCLELLAN.
5. What famous document is released after the Battle of Antietam?
THE EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION.
IT FREES ALL SLAVES HELD BY STATES THAT HAVE JOINED THE CONFEDERACY.