1. Which statement about the United Kingdom's parliamentary system is correct?
A. Members of both houses of Parliament are elected for life.
B. The queen decides which laws Parliament will debate.
C. Members of Parliament do not belong to political parties.
D. The prime minister is not directly chosen by voters.
2. Which of the following best explains why the United States is Canada's largest trading partner?
B. population distribution
D. Gross Domestic Product
3. Canada is the world's second largest country in terms of land area. However, about 75 percent of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of its southern border. Which statement does not provide a reason why so many
Canadians live in their country's southern region?
A. More jobs are available in Canada's southern region.
B. Canadian law encourages people to live in its southern region.
C. Much of Canada's northern region is tundra.
D. Canada's southern region has a milder climate than its northern region.
Which of these is MOST LIKELY to be classified as a reason for Canadians' concern about pollution of the Great Lakes?
A. The Great Lakes are a favorite Canadian tourist destination.
B. The Great Lakes are a major source of Canada's drinking water.
C. Canadians prefer the beaches along the Great Lakes to those along the coast.
D. Diving on shipwrecks is a growing Great Lakes sport which attracts divers from around the world.
5. Most democracies have a government with three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. In Canada, the executive branch is the
B. Supreme Court.
C. Prime Minister.
6. In most democratic countries, the government is divided into three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. In Canada, the legislative branch is the
B. prime minister.
C. Supreme Court.
D. governor general.
7. In most democratic countries, the government is divided into three branches: the executive, the legislative, and the judicial. In Canada, the legislative branch is made up of the Senate and the
A. Prime Minister.
B. Supreme Court.
C. House of Commons.
D. Governor General.
8. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was designed to promote free trade between the United States,
A. Canada, and Mexico.
B. the United Kingdom, and Russia.
C. Canada, and the United Kingdom.
D. Mexico, and the islands of the Caribbean.
9. What is the purpose of free trade partnerships like the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Canada, and Mexico?
A. to increase trade by doing away with tariffs.
B. to allow countries to get needed goods without having to pay for them
14. Today, some citizens and elected leaders of Québec believe their province should take which action?
A. refuse to trade with the United States
B. close its borders to all new immigrants
C. withdraw from the United Nations
D. become an independent country
15. Today, some Canadian citizens are called "separatists" because they believe that one Canadian province should become an independent nation. In which Canadian province would a separatist most likely live?