1. What did Paul say would occur before Christ’s second coming?
2 Thessalonians 2:3
2. How soon was this apostacy to come?
2 Thessalonians 2:7
3. What prophecy was thus fulfilled?
Daniel 7:25; Matthew 24:24; Acts 20:29, 30.
4. What other satanic powers have arisen in opposition to the truth?
1 John 2:18; 1 John 4:3; 2 John 7.
5. How does history prove the rise of the Apostacy?
Answer: “There is scarcely anything that strikes the mind of the careful student of ancient ecclesiastical history with greater surprise, than the comparatively early period at which many of the corruptions of Christianity which were embodied in the Romish system took their rise”. [History pf Romanism, page 65; by Dowling].
“Pagans flowed into the churches, taking with them many of their pagan habits of life and thought, so that by the time of Diocletian the church was corrupt and worldly as never before....Gnosticism led the way in the amalgamation of Christian and pagan thought and life that was to transform the religion of Christ and His apostles....” [Manual of Church History” by A.H Newman pp.167, 194]
From Schaff-Herzog “Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge”. “The Sabbath had no rival in the church until about the middle of the second century when Sunday began to be observed as a festival day.....along with Wednesday, Friday, and numerous other festival days of the Latin Church, then beginning to drift upon the first great wave of its APOSTACY”. Volume 4, p.2166]
From “Growth of the Christian Church” by R. H Nichol: “Paginism affected Christian worship.....because many entered the churches who were pagans under the surface. SAINT WORSHIP is the chief example of this tendency. The saints became to be regarded as something like lesser DEITIES WHOSE INTERCESSION AVAILED God. PLACES connected with their lives were considered especially sacred. PILGRIMAGES to such places naturally followed. To venerate RELICS or MATERIAL OBJECTS connected with the saints, parts of their bodies or properties, and to believe that in them was the power to work miracles, came easily to those in whom pagan superstition still remained”. P.61
“The celebration of the EUCHARIST [the MASS] became an imposing ceremony with fixed forms and much attention to details, emphasizing the idea that the sacrament was a sacrifice offered by the PRIEST for the people efficacious for their salvation”. Ibid.p.60
“Changes took place in the position of the ministry. The distinction between clergy and laymen, unknown in the first century, was gradually marked. The office of the Bishop was magnified and authoritative power was centralized at the imperial capital, Rome”. Ibid. P.41.
“The growth of the idea of the higher morality [of ministry] caused the belief that the clergy ought to be UNMARRIED. This became LAW in the church in the west in the fourth century”. Ibid. P.41.
“More liturgies and forms of prayers were produced.... Church buildings became larger and more decorative....Church walls were covered with paintings, mosaics and embroideries. Dignity and impressiveness was sought in the services as well as stately ritual and solemn music”. Ibid. pp. 41, 59, 60.
6. How does John describe the fall of the Apostate Church, and what are we told to do in view of this condition?
7. What will be the final fate of the Apostate Church system as well as the Anti-Christ powers?
Note: The APOSTACY, also called the MYSTERY OF INIQUIRY is headed up in the CATHOLIC CHURCH, who is called the MOTHER OF HARLOTS and includes false Protestantism, her DAUGHTERS.
The present ONE WORLD CHURCH movement will be a FEDERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE once more to persecute the saints and will go into perdition.
Revelation 17:3, 8, 11.
LESSON 28 PROPHECY – PAST AND PRESENT What is Prophecy?
Answer: History foretold in advance.
Isaiah 41:22; 45:21; 46:9, 10.
2. How was prophecy given?
2 Peter 1:19-21; 1 Peter 1:11.
3. Is prophecy sure of fulfilment?
Habakkuk 2:1-3; 2 Peter 1:19
4. What power is there in prophecy?
1 Peter 1:12; 2 Peter 1:19
5. What is one of the first prophecies given in the Bible?
Genesis 3:15; [Romans 16:20].
6. Note some of the prophecies fulfilled in Christ’s first advent:
A. Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:1-9
B. Micah 5:2; Matthew 2:5, 6
C. Numbers 24:17; Matthew 2:1, 2, 9
D. Psalm 41:9; Matthew 26:21-25
E. Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:15
F. Psalm 22:19; Matthew 27:35
7. What are some prophecies of Christ’s second advent?
Zechariah 14:1-9; St John 14:3; Acts 1:11; Revelation 1:7; 1 Thessalonians 4:16.
8. While Nineveh was still a great city what prophecy was uttered concerning her?
Note: Nineveh was so completely destroyed that its very existence was unknown and doubted by the 18th century infidels. Excavations made since the beginning of the 19th century have uncovered even its royal palace and many of its long lost records.
9. What did prophecy say about Babylon while she was still in her glory?
Isaiah 13:19-22; Jeremiah 51:37; 25:12
10. Did God name the General who was to destroy Babylon before he was born?
Note: Isaiah prophesied 745-695 B.C over 150 years before the days of Cyrus. Yet He calls him by name and predicts that he would rebuild the temple, which in Isaiah’s day had not yet fallen. Furthermore, in Isaiah’s time Assyria was the dominant power in the world. Babylon was a dependency of Assyria. Babylon rose to world power 606 B.C and fell 535 B.C. Thus Isaiah sang of the fall of Babylon 100 years before its rise. Modern critics, therefore suppose that these cannot be the words of Isaiah, but of some later prophet. However, it is specifically stated that they are Isaiah’s words. [Isaiah 13:1]. The splendour to which Babylon rose a hundred years after Isaiah’s day, as Queen city of the pre-Christian world, “the glory of kingdoms” [Isaiah 13:19]; “the city of gold” [Isaiah 14:4] is here clearly envisioned as if Isaiah had been right there. But the burden of the prophecy is the fall of Babylon, pictured in detail that awes us into profound wonderment. Medes, who, in Isaiah’s day were an almost unknown people, are named as the destroyers of Babylon [Isaiah 13:17-19].
11. What did God say of Egypt while it was still a mighty nation?
Isaiah 19:17; Ezekiel 29:14, 15.
12. What did God say of Tyrus while she was the greatest commercial city in the east?
13. Notice the tremendous prophecy of Jacob in Genesis Chapter 49.
14. What prophecies foretold an outpouring of the Spirit in New Testament times.
Joel 2:28, 29.
15. What prophecy foretold that the Gentiles would inherit God’s promises.
Isaiah 60:3; 54:1-5.
16. What are some of the prophecies concerning the return of the Jews to the Holy Land and the rebuilding of the city of Jerusalem:
Note: All the above prophecies were given before the return from Babylonian captivity and it appears that the return and restoration under Ezra and Nehemiah was the initial fulfilment; but in reading carefully the context one can readily see that not every detail of prophecy was was fulfilled then. So we see a duplication of prophetical application to the present day move in Israel as well as a spiritual application to the Church.
17. What prophecy will be fulfilled in respect of modern Babylon and the anti-Christ systems of our day?
1. What occurred to Nebuchadnezzar in the second year of his reign?
2. By what means did he seek to have the dream and the interpretation made known.
3. What acknowledgement was forced upon the wise men of Babylon:
Daniel 2: 10-11.
4. What decree did the king make?
Daniel 2: 12-13 and
What was Daniel’s request?
5. Whom did Daniel request to seek God with him that the dream might be revealed?
6. What was the result?
7. How did Daniel express his thanks?
8. Did Daniel claim to be wise enough to make known the king’s dream?
9. What led the king to dream as he did.
10. What did the king dream?
11. What did the head of gold represent:
Daniel 2:37, 38 and Daniel 1:1.
12. What was represented by the breast of silver?
13. What kingdom conquered Babylon?
14. What kingdom conquered Media and Persia?
Daniel 8:20, 21.
15. What did the belly and sides of brass represent:
16. What was represented by the legs of iron?
17. What kind of kingdoms were these to be?
18. Was there still another kingdom besides Babylon, Medo-Persia and Grecia:
19. What then was the name of the fourth kingdom?
20. What was to happen to the Roman Empire?
Daniel 2: 41, 41.
21. How and when was Rome divided?
Answer: Between 356 A.D and 483 A.D Rome was divided into just ten parts by being overrun by the tribes from the north which settled in different sections of the Roman Empire and established independent rule.
Did such mingling or intermarriage take place?
Answer: Most of the rulers of Europe are thus intermarried, but they are not united; each is independent. It is true that many of the European nations are united in a European Union, an economic union, which will eventually develop into a political union possibly forming a revival of the Roman Empire. However, the image of Daniel 2 gives an outline of the four universal Empires from the time of Babylon to Rome and then briefly portrays the division of the Roman Empire in the “latter days”. The events in more detail with respect to the ecclesiastical and political developments in the days prior to the return of Jesus are described in the vision of Daniel 7 and Revelation 13 through 17 and will be dealt with in the next two lessons. The ten toes of the great image of Daniel 2 represent the division of the Roman Empire into just ten nations, namely, The Allemani, the Anglo-Saxons, the Franks, the Burgundians, the Visigoths, the Suevi, the Ostrogoths, the Lombards, the Heruli and the Vandals.
24. While Daniel was beholding the image, what happened?
Daniel 2:34, 35, 45.
25. What did the “stone” represent?
Daniel 2: verse 35 [last part] and verse 44.
26. When is the “stone” kingdom established?
27. What part of the image does the stone smite?
28. What does this represent?
Answer: The setting up of Christ’s kingdom upon the earth which will be “in the days of these kings”. St John the Divine describes this scene in Revelation 11:15.
“......The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord , and of His Christ , and He shall reign for ever and ever”.
THE SEVEN HEADED BEAST
OF REVELATION 13 AND 17 1. Describe the beast John saw in vision?
Revelation 13:1, 2; 17:3.
2. Who did John see riding on the beast?
Note: A “woman” in prophecy represents a church – a pure chaste woman the true church; an unclean, adulterous woman, the apostate church. [Revelation 12:1,25,6].
3. What were the characteristics of this woman?
Revelation 17:1-6, 9, 15, 18.
Note: John identifies the woman thus:
A. She is the “great whore” having committed “fornication” with the kings of the earth – Revelation 17:1, 2 [Union of Church and State; Paganism in the Church].
B. She sits upon “many waters” – Revelation 17:1, 15 [Rules over many nations, peoples, tongues].
C. She sits upon a scarlet coloured beast having 7 heads and 10 horns – Revelation 17:3, 9.
D. She is the “Mother of Harlots” and arrayed in costly garments – Revelation 17:4, 5.
E. She is responsible for the martyrdom of the saints – Revelation 17:6.
4. Who does this Harlot woman [Mother] represent?
Answer: There has never been any other ecclesiastical system that could possibly fulfil the specifications of this prophecy than the APOSTATE CHURCH – Roman Catholicism.
5. Since the “woman” is a “mother of harlots” who are her daughters?
Note: The only possible answer could be the “sects” or denominations who have been the product of the “mother” – those who still teach and practise her errors.
Why is the “woman” called “Babylon”?
Answer: “Babylon” means confusion, first manifest at the tower of Babel [Genesis 11:1-9], then in the city and kingdom of Babylon [Jeremiah 51] and finally in the apostate church in union with the state [Revelation 17:1-6; 18:1-24]. This “woman” was corrupted by “fornication” with the pagan religious doctrines and customs which stem from Babylonian idolatry. [See “The Two Babylons” by Alexander Hislop and “Mystery Babylon Religion” by Ralph Woodrow, P O Box 124, Riverside, California 92502.
7. Who is the 7 headed beast that carries the woman?
Revelation 13:1,2; 17:3,9,10.
Note: The 7 mountains or kings are 7 kingdoms that carry the woman [Catholic Church].
8. Are these kingdoms contemporaneous or successive?
Note: There is some disagreement as to the exact time to begin and end the period of time the woman rode on the beast. Some begin with Constantine the Great [300 A.D] to the time of the Reformation [1560 A.D] making the 1260 years of Papal rule. Others interpret the 7 heads as:
1. Justinian, 538 A.D
7. Napoleon, 1850 A.D
9. What happened to one of the heads of the beast?
Revelation 13:3; 17:8.
Note: The head that was wounded, revives and becomes the 8th, “was and is not” [Revelation 17:11] at the time “five are fallen” [Revelation 17:10], “one is, and one is yet to come”. So it must have been one of the first five. History reveals that it was the fifth head – Charles the 5th that was wounded by the Reformation. The wound is now being healed by the ecumenical movement. We will see the reunification of all apostate religions together with the civil powers that will enforce one form of religion under penalty that no one will be able to buy or sell without conformity to the powers that be.
10. What do the ten horns on the beast represent?
Note: These will be ten kings who are contemporaneous with the eighth head kingdom.
11. Who then does God use to punish and destroy the harlot woman?
12. What happens to the beast and the ten kings?
Revelation 14:9, 10; 19:20.
13. What happens to those who receive the mark of the beast?
Revelation 14:9, 10; 19:20
14. In view of this what are we told to do?
THE TWO HORNED BEAST AND THE
MARK OF THE BEAST Describe the beast shown to John in Revelation 13:11.
Note: This “beast” came “out of the earth” whereas the previous one came up out of the “sea”. “Sea” indicates peoples, nations, tongues. [Revelation 17:5]. “Earth” then would mean that this beast or nation would arise where there had been no previous kingdom or peoples of various nations. Most commentators agree this prophecy applies to the USA founded about the time of the first beast was “wounded”.
2. What is the character of this new power?
Note: The two horns like a lamb have been interpreted to mean either the two fundamental principles upon which America was established – civil and religious freedom, or the two western nations, Canada and USA, both built upon this principle.
3. What does this “lamblike” beast ultimately do?
Note: The beast changes his character and “speaks as a dragon” – the voice of intolerance and persecution – our governments will repudiate the lamblike principles of civil and religious liberty, and become like the beast before it, a world-wide persecuting power.
4. What then will this beast do?
Note: He exerciseth the power of the first beast – persecution and death to those who will not submit to its mandates, that is, to “worship” the first beast. This indicates an enforcement of religious laws one of which will be SUNDAY OBSERVANCE.
5. What means will be employed to lead people back into false worship? Revelation 13:14
6. What universal law will then be enforced?
Note: The beast that had the “wound by a sword” is the Papacy. Wounded by the Reformation, it revives AS THE EIGHTH HEAD in union with the State, enforcing religious dogmas by the civil powers supporting her. The two-horned beast, also in union with the church will do likewise. Thus a confederation of nations both in Europe and America will be headed by the revived Papacy, her harlot daughters having merged into ONE WORLD CHURCH will also work together with the Papacy and the State to enforce unilateral conformity to one form of worship. [An image to the beast would be another ecclesiastical power clothed with the civil power – another union of Church and State – to enforce religious dogmas by law].
7. What evidence do we have that a Religio-Political Monstrosity that will fulfil the specifications of this prophecy is already in process of development?
Answer: As early as 1908 the Federal Council of Churches [today the World Council of Churches] made plain their objective: “That the great Christian bodies should stand together in dealing with questions like those of marriage and divorce, Sabbath desecration, social evils” etc. – “Report of Federal Council” pages 5, 6.
8. What “wonders” are performed by this beast? Revelation 13:13
Note: “Fire comes down from heaven [skies] in the sight of all men”.
9. What will the two-horned beast attempt to enforce upon all people?
10. What means will be employed to compel all to receive this mark?
Note: God’s seal, or mark is His Name written in the forehead [Revelation 7:3; 14:1, the seat of the mind, and implies that those who receive God’s mark are His separated people. The mark of the beast also received in the forehead or the hand would imply that some people are fully dedicated advocates of the beast power while others, coerced or indifferent, give formal, outward consent, and so receive the mark in the hand. All those who refuse to receive the mark of the beast will be boycotted or denied the privilege of the ordinary means of gaining a livelihood to buy or sell.
11. In order for the beast to enforce unilateral conformity to a “single form of worship” what must first take place?
Answer: A TOTAL UNIFICATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.
12. When this is accomplished, what law will then be enforced?
Answer: Sunday observance.
13. Who is responsible for the first institution of these laws?
Answer: In accordance with study of scripture it would seem to be the Roman Church.
14. Why were the ancient Sunday laws demanded?
Answer: “That the day might be devoted with less interruption to the purpose of devotion. That the devotion of the faithful might be free from all disturbance” Neander’s “Church History” Volume 11 pp 297, 301.
15. Who is responsible for the present State Sunday Laws?
Answer: “During nearly all American history THE CHURCHES have influenced the States to make and improve Sabbath laws” W.F Crafts, in Christian Statesman, July 3, 1890.
16. If the beast in prophecy represents a political kingdom, and the MARK is of the BEAST, what relation would Sunday Observance have to receiving the Mark of the Beast?
Answer: We have proven that it is the Church in Union with the State that enforces this law, the Church being responsible as its advocate.
17. How can we identify the BEAST?
Note: The number 666 is the number of the BEAST not of the WOMAN. However, according to the prophecy, the WOMAN rides upon the BEAST [Revelation 17:3], thus implying that the CHURCH dictates to the State and the State carries into force its mandates. In this manner she commits “fornication” with the kings of the earth [Revelation 17:2; 18:3] having also adopted beastly, pagan practices.
18. What judgements will fall upon those who receive the mark of the beast? Revelation 14:9-11
19. Explain the meaning of the number 666.
Answer: The number 666 is the number of a man [Revelation 17:18] or man’s number in contrast to God’s number 7. The triple 6 implies the unholy trinity [Revelation 16:13, 14] the Dragon-Devil, the Beast – the godless kingdoms of the world, the False Prophet – all apostate religions.
We submit some of the names of a “man” or man’s kingdom the letters of which when regarded as numerals, total 666:
NERON CAESAR – the numerical value in Hebrew total 666.
VICARIUS FILII DEI – In Roman numerical value: V, 5; 1, 1; C, 100; A, 0; R, 0; I, 1; U, 5; S, 0; F, 0; I, 1; L, 50; I, 1; I, 1; D, 500; E, 0; I, 1 = 666.
Note: Latin was the official language of Rome, and the Papacy still use Latin in its prayers, canons, missals, breviaries, decrees, bulls, worships, etc.
“Vicarius Filii Dei” is the favourite title of the Pope [Lateinos means “The Latin Kingdom”]. The Papacy is considered a “kingdom” and so she declares herself to be. [ “The Temporal Power of the Vicar of Christ” by Cardinal Mannings, 1861.] The Pope is said to be the supreme judge of the law of the land. He is vicegerent of Christ, who is not only a priest forever, but also King of kings and Lord of lords. [See Daniel 7:25; Revelation 13:5, 6].
THE LAW OF CLEAN AND UNCLEAN 1. What does the apostle John say regarding our health?
3 John 2.
2. What does God promise His people?
3. Upon what condition is freedom from sickness promised?
4. Why should the health of the body be preserved?
1 Corinthians 6:20; Romans 12:1
5. What is the body of the believer declared to be?
1 Corinthians 6:19
6. What will God do to those who defile this temple?
1 Corinthians 3:17
7. What example did Daniel set in this matter?
8. What high purpose should control our habits of life?
1 Corinthians 10:31
9. What attitude should we have in life?
10. Is it necessary for our body to have rest?
11. Is temperance necessary for good health?
2 Peter 1:5-7
12. Does it matter how we take care of our bodies?
1 Thessalonians 5:23
13. Does it matter what kind of food we eat?
Daniel 1:8; 1 Corinthians 6:19; 3:17
14. Did Peter eat unclean food?
15. What was meant in Acts 10:15 [See verse 28]
16. Does the Bible distinguish between clean and unclean food?
Leviticus 11; Deuteronomy 14:1-21
17. What evidence do we have that the law of clean and unclean was practiced before the days of Moses?
Genesis 7:1, 2
18. Why does God desire our bodies to be pure?
1 Corinthians 6:20; Deuteronomy 14:2, 3; 1 Peter 2:9
19. What do the scriptures say of wine?
Proverbs 20:1; 23:31, 32
20. What are some of the evil results of indulgence in intoxicating drinks?
22. To what extent is intemperance the cause of crime?
Answer: A Lord Chief Justice of England declared, “If sifted, nine tenths of the crime of England and Wales could be traced to drink” – “Alcohol”.
23. What may be said of the use of tobacco?
Answer: Being a rank poison, its use is highly injurious. “Tobacco is the most subtle poison known to chemists, except the deadly prussic acid” [Dr. M Orfila Paris. Med. Acc.].
24. Was Paul speaking of unclean and harmful foods in Romans 14:1-6?
Answer: It is contradictory to interpret Paul giving licence to eat anything at all. Paul’s admonitions in the scriptures quoted above [Number 4] prove otherwise. The context of Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 8 would indicate that Paul is speaking of vegetarianism and of meats offered to idols.