Battle of Gettysburg: Turning Point of the Civil War Name: ___________________________________ Class: _____________________
Directions: Read p. 496-503 in your textbook and answer the following questions.
1. What role did Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the 20th Maine play at Gettysburg?
2. List the correct order of Generals that Lincoln went through from McClellan to Grant.
3. Why did the Union’s lack of consistency in Generals hurt its performance in the war?
4. What are two reasons that Lee and the Southern army invaded the North?
5. Describe Pickett’s Charge. Was it a success or failure? Why?
8. What is meant by the phrase “high water mark of the rebellion”? Where did this take place?
9. Give at least three specific reasons you think that the Union won the Battle of Gettysburg.
10. Why could the four days July 1-4 1863 be considered a “Turning Point” in the Civil War? Explain.
11. What is one difference between Ulyssess S. Grant and Robert E. Lee? One similarity? (just saying they are generals or were for the N or S is not specific enough!)
12. Why was the Union victory at Vicksburg important to the Union’s plans and strategy in the West?
Timeline: Place the following events on the timeline below. Use one color for Union victories and another for Confederate victories. Make a key to show which is which.
13. Antietam 14. Fredricksburg 15. Chancellorsville