Berend, T. Iván (Ivan T.) (Budapest, 11 December 1930 - ) – Historian. His higher studies were at the University of Budapest (1949-1953). From 1949 to 1979 he held various positions at the University of Economics such as lecturer, professor and dean. He was Secretary General of the Hungarian Historical Society (1975-1979); President of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (1985-1990). He was a member of the Central Committee of the Hungarian Socialist Workers Party – MSZMP) (1988-1989). Since 1990 he has been Professor of History at the University of California, Los Angeles, Director of the Center of European and Russian Institute of UCLA (1993). He is a member of a number of related societies and institutions including the Royal Historical Society, and a corresponding member of the British Academy. His works include The Industry of Hungary 1900-1914 (Magyarország Gyáripara 1900-1914) with Gy. Ránki (1955); Hundred Years of the Hungarian Economy 1848-1944 (A magyar gazdaság száz éve 1848-1944), with Gy. Ránki) (1973); edited Transition to a Market Economy at the End of the 20th Century, (1994), and On a Diverted Way (Terelőúton) (1999). He is a member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (1973). He received the Kossuth Prize (1961), the Academy Prize (1965, 1966), the János Apáczai Csere Prize (1981), and the State Prize (1985). – B: 0874, 1257, T: 7103.→Ránki, György (1).
Berény, Róbert (Budapest, 18 March 1887 - Budapest, 10 September 1953) – Painter. In 1904 he was Tivadar (Theodore) Zemplényi’s student; but continued his studies in Paris, where Césanne’s art had a decisive impact on him. In 1906 he exhibited at the Salon d’Autumne. He joined the “Group of Eight” in Budapest in 1911. In 1919 he created the war poster “To arms!” (Fegyverbe!) for the Council (Soviet) Republic of Hungary. He was also contributor to the literary review West (Nyugat). Between 1919 and 1926 he lived in Berlin. From 1935 he lived and worked in Zebegény. His studio in Zebegény and many of his paintings were destroyed at the end of Word War II in 1945. In 1948 he was appointed professor of the Academy of Applied Art. He gradually turned from expressionism and cubism toward the Nagybánya tradition. He had a number of exhibitions. He is regarded as one of the masters of modern Hungarian painting. His works include Still Life (Csendélet) (1907), Portrait of Bertalan Poór (1907), Garden (Kert) (1911), Portrait of Béla Bartók (1913), Woman in the Green Room (Nő zöld szobában) (1927), and Woman with Violoncello II (Csellózó nő II), Painter before the Wall (Festő a fal előtt) (1945). He received the Szinnyei Prize (1936). – B: 0883, 0934, T: 7103.→Czigány, Dezső; Nagybánya Artist Colony; Eight, The Group of.