1. Slave masters wanted slave women to ________.
a. love their children.
b. educate their children.
c. have children
2. The narrator couldn’t recall his mother ________.
a. visiting at his grandmother’s.
b. ever visiting him.
c. loving him.
3. The narrator saw his mother mostly _________.
a. at night
b. in the morning.
c. during the summer.
4. The narrator’s mother worked for ________.
b. Mr. Stewart
c. Colonel Lloyd
5. The penalty for failing to show up for work on time was .
a. lost privileges.
c. a flogging.
Understanding the Passage
6. To the master, slave women were _______.
b. completely helpless
c. like farm animals
7. The narrator ________.
a. accepted the conditions of slavery
b. could barely control his rage
c. never saw his mother
8. The narrator’s mother ________.
a. truly loved him
b. felt indifference towards him
c. argued with the overseer
9. Slaves usually traveled by ________.