* Did not want to give the Central Government (Congress) too much power.
*Placed the power in the People’s Hands
* Republic- government which citizens rule through elected representatives.
*All 13 states had to agree to the Articles and any Amendments
* Only 9/13 states had to agree to make laws
* Handle Foreign Affairs *Regulate Trade
*Maintain Armed Forces- but only use against
Foreign issues and not against the citizens * Force people to join the Army
*Borrow Money * Impose Taxes
*Issue Currency *Require states to use the central form of currency
*After the war, the British closed the West Indies market to farmers. Being unable to trade, the farmers went into debt.
*Damage to Southern plantations from the war caused rice crops to drop.
*Due to farmers being unable to pay their taxes and debts, their farms were taken and some were thrown into jail.
*Daniel Shays, a former militiaman himself, faced these troubles too. He led a rebellion to try to close the courts and stop judges from taking farmers lands.
*After warning shots overhead by the Massachusetts militia, and another round of shots killing four men, Shays and his men retreated.
*This led to unrest by the people realizing that such a weak government could not protect them from violence.
* After this, the power to maintain an army was given to congress in the creation of the constitution
* Roger Sherman suggested a plan that would settle the disagreement in congress between the New Jersey and Virginia Plans.
*The Legislative Branch (Congress) would be split into two houses- Senate, House of Representatives.
*Each house in the Legislative Branch would represent a different plan.
*James Madison created this plan *William Patterson created this plan
*had three branches of government *Had three branches of government
*Represented Larger States *Represented smaller States
* Delegates (Votes) would be given based *Delegates (Votes) would be given the same
on population to each state regardless of size
*Became Plan for the House of Representatives *Became Plan for the Senate
*September 1786 55 Delegates met to discuss changes to the Articles of Confederation
*Decided on a Federalist form of government where states and the central government would share powers with the central government having more powers
*Settled on a Democracy (government led by the people) with a republic (people rule through elected officials)
*Debated stopping slave trade into America but decided to not stop just yet in order to have the Southern states agree to the constitution.
* South wanted to count slaves in their total population but not against their taxes
*Northern state didn’t think they should get counted in one but not the other
*It was decided that for every five slaves, three would count