Arab-Israeli Wars leq’s to answer …
Navigate this page:
May 14, 1948 How long did it last 8 months Who won Israel
Palestinian Territories in Israel today! Gaza
Name: ______________________________________ Class Period: ______________________
LEQ’s to answer …
What is the UN and why was it established?
What led to the establishment of the modern state of Israel in 1948?
What are the continuing conflicts between the Arabs and the Israelis?
of countries around the
Purpose – to help keep
throughout the world!
attempt at a world organization to help keep peace throughout the world!
Creation of Israel
- Jews wanted a land of their own
Where? The Promised Land –
promised to them by
- through Abraham!
Where was the Promised Land? Between
began! This is an international Jewish movement that supported the creation of a Jewish nation!
were already living here in the Promised Land! Why? Because of the promise to their ancestor -
UN’s plan of partition – to divide this land between
the Jews and Palestinians
Israel gained its independence –
May 14, 1948
war – Israel’s War for Independence - 1948
Began – night of Israel’s independence –
May 14, 1948
How long did it last?
What did they gain? Most of the land the UN had given to
New problem …
NOW are a people without a country to call their own!
war – Suez War - 1956
cuts off Israel’s access to the Suez Canal
maintained control of Suez Canal
war – The 6-Day War – June 1967
Egypt, Syria, and Jordan begin to accumulate armies at Israel’s
wins – gains control of
Peninsula and Palestinian territories!
Munich Olympic Games – Arabs killed _______________ Israeli athletes and their coaches
war – Yom Kippur War – 1973
On one of the holiest
get mad at US for supporting Israel, therefore, place an oil
against the US! This created a gas shortage here in America!
Terrorist groups today!
- Palestinian terrorist organization not recognized as terrorist group by some Arab countries – objective is to recover Palestine for Muslims – see
Israel as an occupying force
- terrorist organization founded by Osama bin Laden and others – rooted in Soviet war in Afghanistan – recognized worldwide as a terrorist organization
the Islamic state of Iraq and Syria – a Sunni jihadist group that aims to establish an Islamic state in Sunni Arab-majority areas of Iraq – founder Abu Ayyub al-Masri
Palestinian Territories in Israel today!
Strip – borders Mediterranean Sea and Egypt
Banks – borders the west
banks of the Jordan River
People, places, and events to know …
- organization of countries around the world – purpose to keep peace
- Palestinian territory – located in Israel – borders west bank of Jordan River
- Palestinian territory – borders Mediterranean Sea and Egypt
- peninsula located in Egypt
Words to know …
- a trade barrier where a government stops trading with another country in order to force a political change with the other country
- a Jewish movement that resulted in the establishment of Israel
personal -> The Adventure of English: The Biography of a Language by Melvyn Bragg 2
personal -> A farewell to Arms In a nutshell a farewell to Arms
personal -> Choose one of the following options and brainstorm, plan, and draft a 300- 400 word response before Monday, September 17th
personal -> Prose Edda: Gylfaginning
personal -> Government Department London School of Economics and Political Science
Share with your friends:
The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2020