AN ACT TO INCREASE THE ANNUAL APPROPRIATION FOR HISTORIC HALIFAX. WHEREAS, the Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Incorporated, has for several years pursued a program of acquiring and restoring significant historic sites and structures in the Colonial Town of Halifax, and has been able to achieve many of its goals even though it has been severely handicapped through lack of a professional staff to supervise the technical work involved; and
WHEREAS, the said Association has requested the Department of Archives and History to provide the necessary technical services, and the Department is not only willing to do so, but under the law is directed to render such assistance; and
WHEREAS, the Department has had in its budget for some years the sum of two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) a year with which to assist the Halifax Association in the form of grants-in-aid for the repair and restoration of historic buildings, but this amount is insufficient to permit the Department to also provide the necessary supervision and help to effect such repair and restoration in a professional and authentic manner; and
WHEREAS, the State of North Carolina has been offered, as a generous donation by the North Carolina Division, Daughters of the American Revolution, the famous Constitution House, where the first Constitution of the State of North Carolina was framed in 1776, to be maintained and exhibited by the Department of Archives and History as a historic site, and the Executive Board of the Department of Archives and History has voted in favor of accepting the Constitution House, provided the means are made available to maintain and exhibit it properly; and
WHEREAS, the Department of Archives and History believes that the Constitution House must be maintained and operated in proper relation to all the other historic structures and sites in Halifax, such as the Colonial Gaol, the Colonial Clerk's Office, the Dutch Colonial House, and others, but is aware that neither these points of historical significance, nor the Constitution House can be properly maintained and exhibited without there being provided additional staff and maintenance funds for these purposes to the Department of Archives and History; and
WHEREAS, Colonial Halifax is one of North Carolina's most important historic sites, being the scene in 1776 of the adoption of the Halifax Resolves, the date of which is emblazoned on the State flag in commemoration of the first official action in the Colonies for Independence from Great Britain; being the site of the drafting (in the Constitution House) and adoption of the Constitution of 1776, North Carolina's first, and being the site of other historic events, as well as the home of William R. Davie, "Father of the University of North Carolina", Willie Jones, one of North Carolina's great Revolutionary leaders, and other men who were prominent in the early history of our State: Now, therefore,
The General Assembly of North Carolina do enact:
Section 1. To supplement the annual appropriation of two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) now set up in the General Appropriation Bill for 1963-1965, there is hereby appropriated from the General Fund to the Department of Archives and History the additional sum of eight thousand dollars ($8,000.00) for the fiscal year 1963-1964 and eight thousand dollars ($8,000.00) for the fiscal year 1964-1965, to be used as necessary to provide technical assistance and supervision for the development and maintenance of historic sites and buildings in Halifax, and for the repair and maintenance of historic buildings and sites in the custody of the Historical Halifax Restoration Association, and to maintain the Constitution House.
Sec. 2. All provisions of this Act shall be construed to be in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 210, Session Laws of 1963, but all other laws and clauses of laws in conflict with the provisions of this Act are repealed.
Sec. 3. This Act shall be effective from and after its ratification.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified, this the 24th day of June, 1963.