Students must go to internet sources and read about different aspects of the American Fur trade in the west. Use the ID list below as a guide for things sites at will help. Be sure to see the Sir’s great power-point about the fur trade in class as well.
Suggested movies on the subject:
“Jeremiah Johnson” starring Robert Redford
“Mountain Men” starring Charlton Hesston
“The Man in the Wilderness” starring Richard Harris
Identify the following:
Dr. John McLoughlin
Hudson Bay Company
John Jacob Astor
1. Why was the beaver pelt such an important commodity during the first 40 years of the 19th Century? (2 Points)
2. What kinds of dangers did men face who searched for and trapped the beaver in the west? (5 Points, make a list)
3. What was a rendezvous? (4 Points)
4. What sort of things happened at a rendezvous? Describe. (4 Points)
5. When the trappers traded for pelts from Indians, what things did the Indians want in return for their pelts? (4 Points)
6, What trade item was prized most by the Indians? Why? (2 Points)
7. Why did the beaver pelt trade eventually diminish in the west? (2 Points)
Why was it important to connect Santa Fe with the United States? What reasons did the Mexicans have to want U.S. trade? Explain (6 Points)
What is a mule? (2 Points)
What is an oxen? (2 Points)
Why was Council Grove such an important stop on the Santa Fe Trail? (2 Points)
What is so important about Susan Shelby Magoffin? (4 Points)
Name the two branches of the Santa Fe Trail and list the main difficulty of taking that branch of the trail. (4 Points)
What was so important about Bent’s Fort? (4 Points)
How did Santa Fe become American Territory? (2 Points)
Why did the Santa Fe Trail eventually fall into disuse? (2 Points)
What technological invention made the trail obsolete?
Assignment #3 Santa Fe Trail Presentation (100 Points)
Pick a spot along the Santa Fe Trail the create prepare a very short presentation about that spot to share with the class using Power-point, U-tube and/ or other forms of technology. Explain why this spot is important, what maybe happened there, and include any appropriate images of that location. We will present these in class in order as listed below.
Students should find the following and or other websites and explore the Oregon Trail and read about the trail.
http://www.historyglobe.com/ot/otmap1.htm fun site
http://www.nps.gov/oreg/index.htm National Park Service stie
http://historyofmormonism.com Mormon History site.
There are many more sties. Go explore.
Identify the following:
1. What was the main reason for the Oregon Trail? (2 Points)
2. Describe the most common forms of transportation used on the trail. People? Animals, Their goods and supplies? (6 Points)
3. How was this different from the Santa Fe Trail? (4 Points)
4. What were the worst hazards of traveling on the Oregon Trail? (6 Points) make a list.
5. What very odd landmark did travelers encounter in western Nebraska?
6. Why was it so important to reach Independence Rock on or near the 4th of July? (4 Points)
7. What event caused such a huge rush of people over the Oregon Trail in the late 1840’s?
8. The Oregon Trail branched into 3 major trails as various points. What were the 3 destinations and why did people go those separate ways? (6 Points)
9. Who were the Donner Party and what happened to them? Research and give a full explanation (10 Points)
10. Why did the Mormans decide to go to the Salt Lake in Utah? (4 Points)
Assignment # 5 Short Oregon Trail Project (100 Points)
Pick a spot along the Oregon Trail the create prepare a very short presentation about that spot to share with the class using Power-point, U-tube and/ or other forms of technology. Explain why this spot is important, what maybe happened there, and include any appropriate images of that location. We will present these in class in order as listed below.
1. Westport and/or St Joseph, Missouri