51) Who developed strong arguments for England's continued efforts at colonizing the New World, despite early failures?
A) Humphrey Gilbert
B) Walter Raleigh
C) Richard Hakluyt
D) Francis Drake
E) Arthur Barlow
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 26 [Factual]
52) Which of the following countries is incorrectly matched with one of its colonies?
C) Spain–Puerto Rico
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 18 [Factual]
1.2 True/False Questions
1) The cultures of the different groups of Native Americans in North America were remarkably similar.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 7 [Factual]
2) When Spanish soldiers first encountered the Aztec community in the Valley of Mexico, they were astonished at its sophistication.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 6 [Factual]
3) Native American women were more likely than men to join Christian churches during the colonial period.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 9 [Factual]
4) African and Native American cultures had little in common.
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 11 [Factual]
5) No diseases native to the New World affected European society as a result of exploration and colonization.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 12 [Factual]
6) More Africans than Europeans came to the Americas in the seventeenth century.
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 14 [Factual]
7) Christopher Columbus was probably the first European to set foot in the New World.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 15 [Factual]
8) The Spanish Armada established Spain's dominance in the New World.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 25 [Factual]
9) For Spain, the American colonies were a source of great economic wealth.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 20-21 [Factual]
10) The English treated their Irish subjects as equals.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 17 [Factual]
1.3 Essay Questions
1) Compare the cultures that could be found in the New World prior to the Europeans. Why were some groups more advanced than others throughout the same region?
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 4-8 [Factual and Conceptual]
2) Describe the process by which early Portuguese traders acquired slaves in West Africa.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 11, 14-15 [Factual]
3) Describe the social, economic, and political changes which occurred in Europe and led to exploration and colonization of the New World.
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 15-17 [Factual]
4) Why did England colonize the New World later than the rest of Europe? What political and religious conditions had created a century of conflict in England? What factors finally pushed the English west, across the ocean?
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 22-26 [Conceptual]
5) Compare the experience of the French, Spanish, and English in colonizing the New World. What common perception of the region did they share? Discuss the differences in their relationship with Native Americans.