(1) The judiciary became the dominant branch of the federal government.
(2) Congress passed an amendment to provide for the direct election of senators.
(3) The power of the central government was strengthened.
(4) States were given the right to secede from the Union. 13. What was a result of the disputed presidential election of 1876?
(1) Reconstruction ended as federal troops were removed from the South.
(2) Slavery was reestablished in the South by state legislatures.
(3) New state laws were passed in the South to guarantee equal rights for African Americans.
(4) A constitutional amendment was adopted to correct problems with the electoral college system. 14. Which argument was used by President Abraham Lincoln to explain his policy of leniency toward the South after the Civil War?
(1) Most Southerners have remained loyal to the Union during the war.