C.Will the world go through another depression? similarities then and now
• The celebration of technology is common to both periods.
• People then, as now, were transfixed by the stock market.
• Heavy consumer borrowing characterizes each era.
• There's a parallel faith in the Fed.
D.The Communitarian Prescription for Depression: Reduce the sphere where money matters
Roosevelt in his 1933 Inaugural Address: “Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. The joy and moral stimulation of work no longer must be forgotten in the mad chase of evanescent profits. These dark days will be worth all they cost us if they teach us that our true destiny is not to be ministered unto but to minister to ourselves and to our fellow men.”
1. Marxist explanations for the depression
2. Liberal explanations
3. Economic nationalism--contradiction between states'goals and market processes.--the gold standard as an example and