This 85-acre state park is dominated by Mt. Pisgah, an 885-foot high ridge separating Kreutz Creek Valley and East Prospect Valley. The overlook offers a spectacular view of the Susquehanna River Valley. The park landscape consists of mowed grass fields on the northern and eastern park slopes, pine plantations in the southern area and mature woods on the western section of the park.
Samuel S. Lewis State Park is in southcentral Pennsylvania, York County, and is about 12 miles east of York, Pennsylvania. From the Wrightsville exit of US 30 follow Cool Creek Road south about 1.5-miles to Mt. Pisgah Road and the park.
Picnicking: There are picnic tables, a ball field and playground equipment. Three picnic pavilions may be reserved up to 11 months in advance for a fee by calling 888-PA-PARKS. Unreserved picnic pavilions are free on a first-come, first-served basis.
Hiking: 1 mile of trails
The short hiking trails allow exploration of the pine forests and pass near interesting rock formations.
Kite Flying: The crest of Mt. Pisgah is an excellent area for kite flying. Local groups and individuals gather to show their skills and offer help to novice kite fliers.
The 885-foot high Mt. Pisgah is the highest point in the area and offers a spectacular panoramic view of the Susquehanna River and the towns and fertile farmlands that it borders. A wayside panel is on the summit of Mt. Pisgah near Pavilion C and identifies various points of interest along the river valley. Coin-operated binoculars are available.
Mt. Pisgah offers an uninterrupted view of the stars. Local clubs and organizations frequently hold star gazing events for the public.
The natural and scenic backdrop provides a popular site for weddings. Contact the park office for more information on planning a wedding in the park.
This arboretum was created before the land became a state park. European beech, persimmon, concolor fir, English yew and several other unique species still remain. A few of these trees are identified with metal plaques. The Arboretum has been severely damaged by storms and high winds. The park plans to plant new trees in the arboretum.
Samuel S. Lewis State Park was named to honor the Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Forest and Waters from 1951-1954. Samuel S. Lewis donated 35 acres of his farm to the Commonwealth in 1954. Lewis convinced Walter Stine to sell his arboretum to the Commonwealth for a reasonable price. The Commonwealth then purchased an additional 35 acres of the adjacent Almoney Farm to complete the initial park tract. The park opened to the public on July 4, 1954. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources purchased an additional 14 acres of land in 1999.
Samuel S. Lewis
1874 – 1959
This unassuming, jovial, analytical man held several cabinet-level positions to several governors, most notably as Secretary of Highways to Governor Gifford Pinchot during Pinchot’s ambitious road-paving program to “get the farmer out of the mud.” Samuel Lewis was the lieutenant governor to Arthur H. James from 1939 to 1943. Lewis was the postmaster general of York and rejuvenated the York Fair.
In 1951, Lewis was appointed the Secretary of the Department of Forests and Waters and oversaw all state parks and forests. In two years, Lewis reorganized and streamlined the department.
“Sam Lewis was the best man I ever worked under. He was a genius at deciding what was good for the public and getting it done quickly. He had the administrative tools to get anything done.”
Joe Ibberson, retired division chief, Bureau of Forestry
The Bureau of State Parks is looking for volunteers to assist with projects that would benefit all the park visitors. If you have an interest in volunteering, please contact the park office directly, or call 888-PA-PARKS.
Access for People with Disabilities
éThis symbol indicates facilities and activities that are accessible. This publication text is available in alternative formats.
If you need an accommodation to participate in park activities due to a disability, please contact the Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks: