1. What was the staple (main) food during the Middle Ages?
2. What was pottage and who ate it?
3. What was the purpose of herbs and spices?
4. What were three different types of medieval entertainment?
6. What were the two types of armed men during the Middle Ages?
7. Who was responsible for providing weapons to knights and soldiers?
8. What was some of the earliest armor knights wore?
9. What replaced that type of armor and why?
10. Who was in complete control under the feudal system and why?
11. Describe the four levels of feudal classes and the responsibilities they held toward others.
12. What type of clothing did most people wear?
13. What did the religious orders wear?
14. Describe what men and women generally wore.
15. Which institution generally was responsible for education?
16. What did Charlemagne command about education?
17. True or False: Universities were established during the Middle Ages.
18. Choose 5 parts of a castle and describe what went on in each part.
19. Draw and describe three castle terms.
20. Describe the typical medieval peasant home.
21. Describe a typical home of a wealthier person.
22. What denomination was the church in the Middle Ages?
23. What were some differences between bishops and parish priests?
24. Describe a day in the life of a monk or nun.
25. What is a pilgrimage?
26. When were most cathedrals built?
27. What are the two main types of cathedrals and what are they like?
28. What was a coat of arms used for?
29. What are the traditional colors and symbols on a shield?
30. What is chivalry?
31. What are the three stages toward knighthood and at what age did each usually occur?
32. According to doctors, why did people get sick?
33. What was the relationship between the four humors and the four elements?
34. What was the most common form of surgery during this time?
35. Choose two people–male and female –and describe their daily life.
36. Who were the earliest merchants?
37. Where did towns tend to grow up?
38. What were the advantages and disadvantages of living in a town?
39. What is a guild, and what was the purpose of a guild?
40. Describe the three levels toward becoming a part of a guild.
41. What topic interests you the most?
42. What would you like to learn more about?