Disclaimer: The English language text below is provided by the Translation and Terminology Centre for information only
; it confers no rights and imposes no obligations separate from those conferred or imposed by the legislation formally adopted and published. Only the latter is authentic. The original Latvian text uses masculine pronouns in the singular. The Translation and Terminology Centre uses the principle of gender-neutral language in its English translations. In addition, gender-specific Latvian nouns have been translated as gender-neutral terms, e.g. chairperson.
Text consolidated by Tulkošanas un terminoloģijas centrs (Translation and Terminology Centre) with amending regulations of:
5 August 2003 (No. 439).
If a whole or part of a paragraph has been amended, the date of the amending regulation appears in square brackets at the end of the paragraph. If a whole paragraph or sub-paragraph has been deleted, the date of the deletion appears in square brackets beside the deleted paragraph or sub-paragraph.
Republic of Latvia
Regulation No 40
Adopted 29 January 2002
By-laws of the State Energy Crisis Centre
Issued pursuant to
Section 65, Paragraph one
of the Energy Law
I. General Provisions
1. These Regulations prescribe the operational procedures and competence of the State Energy Centre (hereinafter – Centre).
2. The Centre shall be a co-ordinating and consultative State institution and the task thereof shall be to manage the elimination of a crisis during a proclaimed energy crisis and to manage liquidation measures of the consequences caused by the crisis.
3. Measures connected with the elimination of a State energy crisis (hereinafter – crisis) and the liquidation of the consequences caused by the crisis, shall be financed from State budget funds. Measures connected with overcoming and elimination of a local energy crisis, shall be financed from local government budget funds.
II. Competence of the Centre
4. The Centre has the following duties:
4.1. during a crisis, in accordance with the procedures set out in regulatory enactments, to provide the energy users with energy, as well as organise State operational assistance and support to local governments in the elimination of the crisis and the liquidation of the consequences caused by the crisis;
4.2. in conformity with the specific groups of energy users and the level of energy crisis, co-ordinate the supply of energy for energy users and the utilisation of the State oil products reserve;
4.3. to co-ordinate the operation of the energy crisis centres of local governments in accordance with the procedures specified by law;
4.4. if necessary, to establish a group of specialists and experts for the purpose of analysis of the crisis;
4.5. to compile, analyse and evaluate the measures performed and the harm caused by the crisis, as well as to develop proposals for the reduction of the risk of a crisis and possible harm in the future;
4.6. to ensure the confidentiality of the information obtained, taking into account economic, commercial and State secrets;
4.7. to operationally notify the Crisis Control Centre of the State Chancellery in accordance with the procedures set out by it regarding the course of the crisis and the prognosis for the development thereof;
4.8. to prepare and submit proposals in accordance with the procedures specified by the Cabinet regarding:
4.8.1. the level of the crisis;
4.8.2. restrictions on energy consumption;
4.8.3. utilisation of security reserves of heating fuel; and
4.8.4. sales of heating fuel (including reserves of heating fuel) possessed by energy supply and fuel undertakings.
5. The Centre has the following rights:
5.1. after co-ordination with the Crisis Control Centre of the State Chancellery, to represent Latvia in international organisations and international negotiations regarding the provision of assistance or co-operation in overcoming and eliminating a crisis and liquidation of the consequences caused during the crisis and post-crisis, as well as preparing drafts of the relevant agreements; and
5.2. in the event of a crisis or threat thereof, to request and receive free of charge information from legal persons and natural persons necessary for the operation of the crisis centre.
III. Structure of the Centre
6. The manager of the Centre (hereinafter – manager) shall be the Minister for Economics.
7. The secretariat of the Centre shall ensure permanent readiness for work, as well as draw up the operational documentation necessary for the work of the members of the Centre. Materially and technically the work of the secretariat of the Centre shall be ensured by the Ministry of Economics.
8. The Centre shall comprise representatives from:
8.1. the Ministry of Economics;
8.2. the Ministry of Finance;
8.3. the Ministry of Justice;
8.4. the Ministry of Transport;
8.5. the Ministry of Regional Development and Local Government Matters;
8.6. the Ministry of the Interior;
8.7. the Union of Local and Regional Governments of Latvia;
8.8. the State stock company “Latvenergo”;
8.9. the stock company “Latvijas gāze”;
8.10. the stock company “Rīgas siltums”; and
8.11. the Public Utilities Commission.
[5 August 2003]
9. The Prime Minister pursuant to a recommendation of the manager shall approve the composition of the Centre.
IV. Operation of the Centre
10. The manager is entitled to convene a meeting of the Centre on the basis of his or her own initiative or a proposal of the members of the Centre.
11. The average earnings of the persons referred to in Paragraph 8 of these Regulations shall be maintained at the place of primary employment during the operation of the Centre.
12. In order to ensure the readiness of the Centre for work during a crisis, the manager shall call a meeting of the Centre once a year and provide information regarding the situation in the country, commencing with the heating season, as well as regarding the provision of energy resources and heating fuel.
Prime Minister A. Bērziņš
Minister for Economics A. Kalvītis
Translation © 2005 Tulkošanas un terminoloģijas centrs (Translation and Terminology Centre)
Share with your friends: