3rd Annual Washington University
Gateway Invitational Tournament
Tossups – Round 5
Packet by University of Iowa
1. On the 7th Crusade in Egypt in 1250, he was captured & held for ransom. He made peaceful agreements with James I of Aragon & Henry III of England. In 1270, he undertook the 8th Crusade, but died in Tunis. For ten points
, name this French monarch.
St. LOUIS IX
2. Delores Haze is called 'the light of my life, the fire of my loins' at the opening of this novel. The narrator loves her, despite her young age, but Humbert Humbert's machinations end badly. For ten points, name this Nabokov novel.
3. Plagiarism is the conscious and unacknowledged repetition of another man's words. So - if you can copy it down right, then you'll have no trouble -- for 10 points -- spelling plagiarism.
4. This 52-year old widow defeated Rep. Dan Frisa to become US Representative from Long Island. She ran on a staunch gun-control platform, because her husband was killed by Colin Ferguson. For ten points, name this recently sworn in Congresswoman.
5. His role in society was no more activist than it was mythologist, trying to dispel those mythologies based on white writings by conducting pioneering surveys that helped to map the lives of blacks in the U.S. For ten points, who was this historian-turned sociologist whose efforts resulted in the formation of the NAACP and author of The Souls of Black Folk?
6. Competitors in this sport can earn points in a variety of ways: by nose walking, executing turns, cutbacks, re-entries, beating sections, executing tube rides and just plain making the wave. So - hang 10 points dude and tell me what sport I'm talking about.
7. The last prisoner kept in the Tower of London was there during the last days of WWII. When he died, he was the lone occupant of Spandau Prison. For ten points, name this Nazi propaganda chief.
8. It’s America’s most popular leisure activity, enjoyed by 37 percent of all households. Most who do it are middle-aged, upper-middle class homeowners who live in small towns and semi-rural areas where there’s enough land for putting seeds into the ground. For 10 points, what is this activity that requires a “green thumb”?
9. Like quarks, they can be said to have six flavors - tau, mu, the neutrinos, and the electron. For ten points, name this group of particles.
10. He is now the world's largest maker of Theremins. In 1964, he used circuit boards to create an analog keyboard with dials and oscillators that were a large part of both Emerson, Lake, & Palmer & Switched On Bach. For ten points, name this inventor, whose eerie keyboards bear his name.
Robert A. MOOG
11. It contains covers of 'One of Us', 'I Can't Make You Love Me', and 'La, La, La Means I Love You'. A cover of 'Betcha By Golly Wow' was the Artist's choice for first single. For ten points, what is this 3-CD set by the Purple One?
12. The Kariba & Cabora Bassa Dam lie on this river of around 1700 miles that flows into the Mozambique Channel. On the border of Zambia & Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls lies on this river. For ten points, name it.
13. She is quite literally pretty poison. Her father, a botanist, has fed her poisonous herbs that make her lethal. A faithless lover convinces her to take an antidote that will kill her. For ten points, name this title character of a Hawthorne tale.
14. His first attempt at armed robbery was an unqualified failure as he spent 9 years behind bars for trying to rob an elderly man. Within one year of his release, he killed as many as 20 people and escaped from the police twice. For 10 points, who was this thug that was gunned down himself in 1934, known as Public Enemy # 1 ?
15. People seem to forget the name of his temporary master, Eurystheus. They do remember what Eurytheus told this man to do, which included fetching the golden apples of the Hesperides and killing the Nemean Lion. For 10 points, who was this strongest of Greek heroes?
HERACLES Accept: HERCULES
16. The Incas at Macchu Picchu combined this element with Tin to make Bronze items. Today, this most metallic and least abundant member of the Nitrogen family is mainly used in the creation of acrylic paints and, of all things, soothing digestive disorder. For 10 points, identify this element with atomic number 83 and symbol Bi.
17. Nancy Mace & Petra Lovetinska remain, while Kim Messer and Jeannie Mentalvos' claims are being investigated by Col. Terry Leedom, who promises that wrongdoing will be punished at the 154-year old South Carolina institution called - For ten points - what?
18. After the appallingly annoying film Naked, this director has gone back to the kind of class-comedy that made High Hopes enjoyable. For ten points, name this British director, whose Secrets & Lies is up for several Oscars.
19. In 1963, a high school dropout with a criminal record abducted a teenage girl in Phoenix and raped her. He was picked out of a line-up but never served his prison term as the Supreme Court declared that he wasn't protected against self-incrimination. For 10 points, who was this
man whose name is in a 1966 Court Case?
20. It has an opposition magnitude of 6.0, making it the brightest of the 'minor planets.' In fact, this asteroid is the only one visible to the naked eye. For ten points, name this 'virginal' asteroid.
21. She owned the house in which Trotsky was killed. She suffered from many illnesses, and many of her self-portraits do not hide her treatments. Among her many paintings are 'Macacos' and 'Self-Portrait: Diego in my Thoughts.' For ten points, name this Mexican artist.
22. It was called into question following the death of Joviane Waltrick on Jan.3. The driver was DUI, but received no breath test because he worked for the Republic of Georgia. For ten points, what is this 2-word concept again under fire?
23. It is a quality rating indicating the ability to resist premature detonation & to burn evenly - as fuel in an internal combustion engine. It can be increased by varying the amount of hydrocarbons or by additives like lead. For ten points, what is this number seen at the pumps?
24. In 1500, he became leader of Darien. In 1513, he led 190 fellow Spanish colonists across mountainous regions of the isthmus to sight the Pacific. For ten points, name this Spanish explorer who discovered Panama.
Vasco Nunez de BALBOA
25. 2 alpha chains & 2 beta chains form an ellipsoidal tetrahedron around an iron-protoporphyrin complex. This molecule only lasts about 120 days in the blood, but it gets recycled to make a new oxygen carrying molecule. For ten points, what is this substance?
26. She's starting to challenge for the #1 ranking, after her win at the Australian Open, with Graf's injuries, this Swiss teen may take the ranking with a solid performance at the French Open. For ten points, name this tennis phenom.
27. Despite being considered a 'chaste goddess,' she falls in love with a Roman soldier occupying her land. Nevertheless, this Druidic priestess gets to sing fine arias like "Casta Diva." For ten points, name this title character of a Bellini opera.
28. It was first produced in 1827. In 1870, Eugene Lapostolle began mass-producing this flavorful cognac & selling it in Paris, where it becomes the rage. It got its name from a son-in-law, who suggested mixing the cognac with exotic oranges, producing a smooth liqueur. For ten points, name this potent potable.
29. While a dove is a symbol of peace, this other bird has been reputed to be a symbol of deceit because its white plumage covers black flesh. It also isn't much known for singing, unless it's about to die. For 10 points, what is this bird, also unique because it never gets divorced?
30. The army has been accused of looting and allowing the rebels to overrun cities. The prime minister promised that the port of Kissengani would not fall, and was oustered when it did For ten points name this African nation headed by the ailing President Mobutu.