1. Why did John Tyler join the Whig party?
2. Why did the Whigs placed John Tyler on the 1840 ticket as vice president?
3. What was the result of President John Tyler's veto of a bill to establish a new Bank of the United States?
4. To bring more money to the federal treasury, John Tyler did what?
5. During an 1837 Canadian insurrection against Britain, Britain did what to the U.S?
6. What happened as a result of the panic of 1837?
7. The British-American dispute over the border of Maine was solved by what?
8. The Aroostook War was the result of what?
10. Some people in Britain hoped for a British alliance with Texas because
11. One argument against annexing Texas to the United States was
12. Texas was annexed to the United States as a result of
14. The United States' claim to the Oregon Country rested on?
15. Most Americans who migrated to the Oregon Country were attracted by?
16. The nomination of James K. Polk as the Democrats' 1844 presidential candidate was secured by?
17. The area in dispute between the United States and Great Britain in 1845 lay between?
18. In the 1840s, the view that God had ordained the growth of an American nation stretching across North America was called?
19. In the presidential election of 1844, the Whig candidate, Henry Clay, favored?
20. The election of 1844 was notable because of?
21. The group most supportive of gaining control of all the Oregon Country was?
22. In the Oregon treaty with Britain in 1846, the northern boundary of the United States was established to the Pacific Ocean along the line of?
23. One reason that the British government decided to compromise on the Oregon Country border was?
24. In his quest for California, President James K. Polk advocated?
26. In 1846 the United States went to war with Mexico for what reasons?
27. President Polk's claim that "American blood [had been shed] on the American soil" referred to news of an armed clash between Mexican and American troops near?
28. During the Mexican War, the Polk administration was called upon several times to respond to "spot" resolutions indicating where American blood had been shed to provoke the war. The resolutions were frequently introduced by?
29. One goal of Mexico in its 1846-1848 war with the United States was?
30. When the war with Mexico began, what did President James K. Polk hoped for?
a. Stephen W. Kearny 1. northern Mexico
31. Match each American officer above with his theater of command in the Mexican War.
32. The terms of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo ending the Mexican War included?
33. Those people most opposed to President James K. Polk's expansionist program were?
34. What was the Wilmot Proviso?
35. The Wilmot Proviso, introduced into Congress during the Mexican War, declared?
36. The largest single addition to American territory was?
37. The first Old World Europeans to come to California were?
38. How did the Spanish Franciscan missionaries treat the native inhabitants of California?
39. When the Mexican government secularized authority in California, how did it effect Californios?
40. Why did the Californios' political ascendancy in California end?
41. President John Tyler vetoed the Whig congress's proposal to
42. Britain was interested in developments in the Republic of Texas because
43. President Polk's program for his administration included
44. Points of controversy between the United States and Mexico in 1845-1846 included
45. Results of the Mexican War