1. Explain how arrival of colonists impacted the lives of Native Americans.
2. How did the Pilgrims form a covenant community?
3. What is the significance of Jamestown?
4. What was the Virginia House of Burgesses?
5. What was the major area of conflict between the Europeans and Native Americans?
6. Why were Africans brought to Jamestown in 1619?
7. What are cavaliers?
8. Define colonization.
9. What were the major impacts of Europeans on the Native Americans?
10. Describe the colonial economy in New England.
11. Describe the colonial economy of the Middle Colonies (Breadbasket).
12. Describe the colonial economy of the Southern Colonies.
13. Describe the social characteristics of New England.
14. Which colonial area was known for religious tolerance? What groups settled there?
15. Which colonial area was known as Royalist and had the strongest ties to the Anglican Church?
17. Describe the system of mercantilism and the purpose of the Navigation Acts?
18. What was the Middle Passage?
19. What was The Enlightenment?
20. What was the Great Awakening?
21. What were the causes/effects of The French and Indian War?
22. What is the significance of the Proclamation of 1763?
23. What was the main purpose of the Stamp Act? What was the effect?
24. What is the significance of the Boston Massacre?
25. What is the significance of the Boston Tea Party?
26. What is the First Continental Congress?
27. Who were the minutemen? What happened at Lexington and Concord?
28. When writing the Declaration of Independence, what ideas did Thomas Jefferson borrow from John
Locke? What did Richard Henry Lee introduce?
Locke – natural rights > “life, liberty and property (pursuit of happiness)” Lee: VA resolution for D of I
29. Who wrote Common Sense and why is it significant?
30. What were the strengths and weaknesses of the Continental Army and the British Army?
32. What is the difference between Loyalists (Tories) and Patriots?
33. What was Ben Franklin’s role in the Revolution?
34. What was a significant challenge facing the United States at the end of the American Revolution?
35. What kind of government did the Articles of Confederation create? What were its strengths and
Confederation – states would control most of their affairs
Strength: states were comfortable with ruling themselves and protecting own interests
Weaknesses: Congress couldn’t tax; money; couldn’t settle disputes between states
36. What was the Land Ordinance of 1785?
37. What was the Northwest Ordinance of 1787?
38. Who wrote the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom? Significance?
39. Who wrote the Virginia Declaration of Rights? Significance?
40. Who is called the “Father of the Constitution”? What role did Washington play?
41. What issue did Federalists and Anti-Federalists disagree most strongly over during the debates over
ratification of the Constitution?
Federalists – strong central government Anti-Federalists – strong state governments
42. What was the VA Plan, the NJ Plan, the 3/5 Compromise, the Great (CT) Compromise?
43. Why were the The Federalist Papers important in U.S. history?
44. Why was the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution?
46. Explain how the rise of political parties in the United States came about.
47. What is the significance of the election of 1800?
48. Why was the Louisiana Purchase a difficult decision for President Thomas Jefferson to make?
49. What is the significance of Marbury v. Madison? McCulloch v. Maryland?
50. What was the result of the War of 1812?
51. How did we acquire Florida?
52. What is the Monroe Doctrine?
53. Who invented the cotton gin and what is its significance?
Eli Whitney – made cotton king – expansion of plantations and slavery
54. Why did Americans move into Texas and what conflicts occurred there?
55. What was the spoils system and who originated it?
56. How did democracy expand during the Age of Jackson?
57. What was Jackson's policy toward the Native Americans?
58. What was the Panic of 1837?
59. What is sectionalism?
60. What advantage did the railroad have over canal travel?
62. How did Texas become part of the United States?
63. Explain the significance of the Missouri Compromise?
64. What was the tariff of abominations and how did it relate to the nullification crisis?
65. What was the Gadsden Purchase?
66. What is the significance of Manifest Destiny?
67. What two issues dominated U.S. politics between 1820 and 1860?
68. What is popular sovereignty?
69. What were the terms of the Compromise of 1850?
70. What was the Kansas-Nebraska Act? In effect, what did it repeal?
71. Who wrote the anti-slavery novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin?
72. Who helped over 300 slaves escape slavery in the south via the underground railroad? Who was Nat
Turner? Who was Gabriel Prosser?
Turner - slave who led rebellion in VA Prosser- literate slave who planned rebellion in Richmond
73. Who turned to violence in the fight over slavery and took part in the “Pottawatomie Massacre” and
the “raid on Harpers Ferry”?
John Brown – abolitionists killed settlers in Kansas (Bleeding Kansas) & raided armory in W.V.
74. What was the major aim of the Free-Soil Party?
75. Explain the Dred Scott decision and its significance.
76. What is the significance of the Lincoln-Douglas debates?
78. What were the causes of the Civil War?
79. What were the advantages of the North? The South?
80. Where were the first shots of the Civil War fired?
81. What is the significance of Bull Run? Antietam? Gettysburg?
82. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?
83. What was Lincoln’s primary goal at the outset of the Civil War?
84. Who was the Union general who led the famous march to the sea from Atlanta to Savannah?
85. On April 9, 1865, where did Lee surrender to Grant?
86. During Reconstruction, what happened to the power of the federal government?
87. Describe Lincoln’s Reconstruction Plan.
88. What are the effects of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments?
89. What prohibitions did black codes set up?
90. Why did westward movement intensify after the Civil War?
91. What is the Homestead Act?
92. Describe the “real cowboy”.
94. What were poll taxes, literacy tests, and grandfather clauses?
95. What were Jim Crow laws?
96. What was sharecropping?
97. What did WEB DuBois and Booker T. Washington believe?
98. Who is Ida B. Wells?
99. What is the significance of Plessy v. Ferguson?
100. What is the Bessemer process?
101. Who is Thomas Edison and what contributions did he make?
102. Who is Alexander Graham Bell and what contributions did he make?
103. Who is Henry Ford and what contributions did he make?
104. Who are the Wright Brothers and what contributions did they make?
105. What was the goal of the Interstate Commerce Act?
106. What does laissez-faire mean?
107. Why was Andrew Carnegie such a successful businessman?
108. Who was John D. Rockefeller?
110. Who was Cornelius Vanderbilt?
111. What was the Sherman Antitrust Act?
112. What was collective bargaining used for?
113. Who are the Knights of Labor?
114. Who is Samuel Gompers and what is the AFL?
115. Who is Eugene Debs?
116. Describe the Haymarket Affair.
117. What was the Homestead Strike?
118. What was the Pullman Strike?
119. Who were scabs?
120. What kind of support did labor unions have in the late 1800s?
121. Why did most immigrants come to America?
122. What was Ellis Island? Angel Island?
123. What were the requirements to pass through Ellis Island?
124. What was the Chinese Exclusion Act?
125. What is a tenement?
127. What is patronage? What was the Gilded Age?
128. What was the Progressive Movement concerned with? (Goals)
129. What are the 16th and the 17th Amendments?
130. What is initiative, referendum, recall, and primary elections?
131. Who are muckrakers? Who is Upton Sinclair and what did he expose in The Jungle?
132. What was the 19th Amendment?
133. Why did the US want to build a canal across Panama?
134. What is the Open Door Policy?
135. Describe U.S. imperialism in Hawaii and the Philippines.
136. What is the significance of the Spanish-American War?
137. What is dollar diplomacy?
138. What were the causes of World War I?
139. What was US foreign policy at the outset of WWI?
140. Why did the US get involved in WWI? What was the overt act?
142. What did Wilson’s Fourteen Points call for?
143. What was the purpose of the League of Nations?
144. What was adopted in the Treaty of Versailles?
145. What contributed to the stock market crash of 1929?
146. What caused the Great Depression?
147. What was the impact of the Great Depression?
148. What was the New Deal? What is the WPA, AAA, FDIC?
149. What problems were farmers having during the Depression?
150. What was the purpose of the Social Security Act?
151. Who did Germany invade in 1939 to start WWII?
152. What were Cash and Carry and Lend-Lease?
153. What were the significant events in the European theatre of the war?
154. What were the significant events in the Pacific theatre of the war?
156. What were the contributions of the Navajo?
157. What were the contributions of women?
158. How were the Japanese Nisei treated?
159. What is Koramatsu v. U.S.?
160. Describe the stages of the Holocaust.
161. What was the purpose of the Nuremberg Tribunal?
162. What is the U.N.?
163. What was the Cold War?
164. What was the significance of the Truman Doctrine? The Marshall Plan?
165. What happened in China in 1949? Why was the Korean War fought?
166. Why was NATO formed?
167. Who was Senator Joseph McCarthy?
168. Who is Alger Hiss? The Rosenbergs?
169. Who is Jonas Salk?
170. Who is John Foster Dulles? What is brinkmanship?
172. Why kind of protest did Martin Luther King, Jr. advocate?
173. Who is Thurgood Marshall? Oliver Hill?
174. What is the significance of the 1963 March on Washington?
175. What is the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
176. What is the Voting Rights Act of 1965?
177. What was the Bay of Pigs invasion? The Cuban Missile Crisis?
178. What is the significance of the Vietnam War?
179. What is détente?
180. What is Watergate?
181. What is affirmative action? What is the Bakke Case?
182. What is glasnost? Perestroika? Who is Mikhail Gorbachev?
183. Who is Sandra Day O’Connor? Sally Ride?
184. What are some examples of major changes in technological advances?