2. Describe the rise and fall of McCarthyism and the beginnings of the civil rights movement.
3. Describe the issues and outcomes of the tight Kennedy-Nixon presidential campaign of 1960.
4. Define the basic principles/approach of Eisenhower's foreign policy in Vietnam, the Middle East, and Cuba.
5. Carefully read the maps for the election of 1956 and 1960 and answer the following questions:
a. Which was the only nonsouthern state to vote for Democrats Stevenson in 1956 and Kennedy in 1960?
b. Which three southern states (states of the old Confederacy) voted for Republicans Eisenhower in 1956 and Nixon in 1960?
c. Which two southern states switched from Republican in 1956 to Democratic in 1960?
d. How many more electoral votes did Kennedy get in the West (not counting Texas) in 1960 than Stevenson got in the same region in 1956?
e. How many electoral votes did Kennedy win from states that Stevenson also carried in 1956? (note the divided electoral vote in one state)
6. How cool were the 1950's?
7. Thesis: How did television and other innovations of the “consumer age” affect American politics, society, and culture in the 1950s?