The following rules and regulations are established by the Commissioner of the Maine Department of Conservation, pursuant to the provisions of 12 M.R.S.A. §1803 sub-§6 and §1825 sub-§4.
GENERAL RULES 1. Fees: Resident - $4.00 per person per night, Nonresident - $8.00 per person per night. Children under 10 Free.
2. Camping: Allowed only at sites designated by the Bureau of Parks and Lands. Parties of more than 12 are restricted to group sites. Authorized campsites are marked and may consist of a number of individual cells of picnic tables and fireplaces.
3. Open Fires: allowed only in fireplaces provided by the Bureau. Camp stoves fueled with sterno, propane or gasoline will be allowed in any safe location.
4. The cutting of live trees is prohibited.
5. Litter: trash must be carried out of area.
6. Firearms are not to be discharged on lunch or campsites.
7. Occupancy of any one site for more than 7 consecutive nights is prohibited; however, at the end of the 7 night period, the Bureau may authorize an extension on a night to night basis.
8. Tents, vehicles, trailers, or equipment must not be left unoccupied on any site more than one night.
9. The Sandy Point section of the Horserace Brook camping area is for tents only.
10. Sites must be vacated by noon on the last day of permitted occupancy.
11. Ice houses that are placed on Lobster Lake must be removed from the property owned and/or administered by the Bureau of Parks and Lands within (3) three days of the close of the ice fishing season on that lake.
12. Quiet Time: Campers are required to be quiet between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
GROUP SITES 1. Beginning the first working day in January of each year the Horserace Brook, Salmon Point and Omaha Beach group campsites may be reserved from the Bureau of Parks and Lands on a first come, first served basis. Failure to make use of a reserved campsite may forfeit future reservation privileges, unless reservations are cancelled at least one week in advance of reservation date.
2. Special group lunch sites may be reserved from the Bureau of Parks & Lands at Horserace Brook, Salmon Point, Log Cable Crossing, Bateau Take Out and Abol Ledges.
3. At group lunch sites without privy provided by State, outfitters will provide portable toilets.
4. Occupancy of any group campsite by more than 30 persons is prohibited.
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: 12 M.R.S.A. §1803 sub-§6 and §1825 sub-§4
April 6, 1988
May 17, 1989
March 8, 1992
EFFECTIVE DATE (ELECTRONIC CONVERSION):
May 4, 1996
May 27, 1997 - Section 1; added Section 12; changed "sites" to "campsite(s)" in GROUP SITES 1, 4.
February 23, 2000 - converted to MS Word
September 22, 2008 – filing 2008-414
June 5, 2012 – statutory citations corrected
DESIGNATED CAMPING AND LUNCH SITES Upper West Branch Penobscot (Seboomook Dam to Chesuncook Lake)
Roll Dam (4 sites - 1 group site)
Burbank (2 sites)
Thoreau's Island (1 site)
Halfway House (1 site - 1 group site)
Big Ragmuff (2 sites)
Lone Pine (1 site)
Big Island South (1 site)
Ouellettes (1 site)
Smart's (1 site)
Driving camps (1 site - 1 group site)
Big Island North (1 site)
The Pines (2 sites)
Little Ragmuff (1 site)
Pine Stream (1 site)
Boom House ( 1 site - 1 group site)
Ogden Cove (2 sites)
Ogden North (1 site)
Ogden Point (1 site)
Ogden South (1 site)
Boy Scout (1 site)
Jackson Cove (1 group site)
Little Cove (2 sites)
Little Claw (1 site)
Big Claw (1 site - 1 group site)
Gero Island (3 sites - 1 group site)
Longley Stream (1 site)
Cunningham Brook (2 sites)
Sandy Point (2 sites)
Red Brook (1 site)
Mouser Island (3 sites)
Cardiser Point (1 site - 1 group site)
Lower West Branch (Ripogenus Gorge to Ambejejus Falls)
Horserace Brook: 1 group site - 10 sites
Salmon Point: 1 site - 1 group site
Abol Falls (2 sites)
Debsconeag Falls (1 site)
Debsconeag Deadwater boat landing (1 site)
Little Omaha Beach (2 sites)
Omaha Beach (3 sites - 1 group site)
Lower West Branch designated lunch sites only