This chapter examines the historical evolution and present status of relations between the government and the news media. After reading and reviewing the material in this chapter, the student should be able to do each of the following:0
00. Describe the evolution of journalism in U.S. political history and indicate the differences between the party press and the mass media of today.
00. Demonstrate how the characteristics of the electronic media have affected the actions of public officials and candidates for national office.
00. Describe the impact of the pattern of ownership and control of the media on the dissemination of news. Show how wire services and TV networks have affected national news coverage. Discuss the impact of the national press.
00. Discuss the issue of media bias and how this bias might manifest itself. Assess the impact of such bias on the electorate.
00. Assess the impact of the media on public opinion and on the functioning of government institutions. Explain why a free press is a critical component of the American democratic system of government.